Saint: A dead sinner revised and edited. -- Ambrose Bierce

computers / alt.sys.pdp11 / RT-11 monitor 64-unit support

SubjectAuthor
* RT-11 monitor 64-unit supportIan Hammond
`* Re: RT-11 monitor 64-unit supportJerry Weiss
 `- Re: RT-11 monitor 64-unit supportIan Hammond

1
RT-11 monitor 64-unit support

<d2e51eaa-930a-4c32-a64e-3a8fd4a40615n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=334&group=alt.sys.pdp11#334

Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 01:36:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RT-11 monitor 64-unit support
From: paramucho@gmail.com (Ian Hammond)
 by: Ian Hammond - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 08:36 UTC

I'm trying to understand 64-unit support in RT-11. Specifically, I'm trying to
work out whether the SB, XB or ZB monitors have 64-unit support.

Reading SYSGEN.COM, question 170. notes that 64-unit support does not
apply to these monitors: "This option has no effect on the SB, XB or FB monitors".

Here's the SYSGEN passage:

<quote>
170. Do you want extended device-unit support (N)?

EXTENDED DEVICE-UNIT SUPPORT OPTION:
The extended device-unit support option adds monitor support for
extended-unit device handlers. In addition to user written extended-unit
device handlers, the RT-11 handlers DU and LD may each have up to 64
device-units.

If you respond NO to question 170, questions 250 and 255 are skipped.

This option has no effect on the SB, XB, and ZB monitors.

Even if you do not select extended device-unit support in the monitor, you
can build the ’dd’ handler with extended device-unit support. However, this
support will become active only when the ’dd’ handler is running under a
monitor that has been built with extended device-unit support.
<end quote>

However, I can't find any code in SYSGEN.COM or RMON.MAC that
specifically disables 64-unit support for these monitors. Nor can I find any
general description of 64-unit support--all I can locate are scattered
references in the driver manual, etc.

The problem arises because I'm porting XXDP to an RT-11 environment
and to do that I need to pass DU: port/CSR/unit/partition information from
the RT-11 driver to the XXDP driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: RT-11 monitor 64-unit support

<7713f6ee-1ff9-4fbe-8f04-73484f493d54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=337&group=alt.sys.pdp11#337

Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 22:22:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: RT-11 monitor 64-unit support
From: jsw@ieee.org (Jerry Weiss)
 by: Jerry Weiss - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 05:22 UTC

On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 3:36:18 AM UTC-5, Ian Hammond wrote:
> I'm trying to understand 64-unit support in RT-11. Specifically, I'm trying to
> work out whether the SB, XB or ZB monitors have 64-unit support.
>
> Reading SYSGEN.COM, question 170. notes that 64-unit support does not
> apply to these monitors: "This option has no effect on the SB, XB or FB monitors".
>
> Here's the SYSGEN passage:
>
> <quote>
> 170. Do you want extended device-unit support (N)?
>
> EXTENDED DEVICE-UNIT SUPPORT OPTION:
> The extended device-unit support option adds monitor support for
> extended-unit device handlers. In addition to user written extended-unit
> device handlers, the RT-11 handlers DU and LD may each have up to 64
> device-units.
>
> If you respond NO to question 170, questions 250 and 255 are skipped.
>
> This option has no effect on the SB, XB, and ZB monitors.
>
> Even if you do not select extended device-unit support in the monitor, you
> can build the ’dd’ handler with extended device-unit support. However, this
> support will become active only when the ’dd’ handler is running under a
> monitor that has been built with extended device-unit support.
> <end quote>
>
> However, I can't find any code in SYSGEN.COM or RMON.MAC that
> specifically disables 64-unit support for these monitors. Nor can I find any
> general description of 64-unit support--all I can locate are scattered
> references in the driver manual, etc.
>
> The problem arises because I'm porting XXDP to an RT-11 environment
> and to do that I need to pass DU: port/CSR/unit/partition information from
> the RT-11 driver to the XXDP driver.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe UNI$64 is what triggers the support in the monitors and handlers. In the V5,6 manuals look for CF3.64 in $CNFG3.

Jerry

Re: RT-11 monitor 64-unit support

<bd217312-0ddc-4007-8bc4-083a652917fcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=343&group=alt.sys.pdp11#343

Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:30:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: paramucho@gmail.com (Ian Hammond)
 by: Ian Hammond - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:30 UTC

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 3:22:34 PM UTC+10, Jerry Weiss wrote:
> On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 3:36:18 AM UTC-5, Ian Hammond wrote:
> > I'm trying to understand 64-unit support in RT-11. Specifically, I'm trying to
> > work out whether the SB, XB or ZB monitors have 64-unit support.
> >
> > Reading SYSGEN.COM, question 170. notes that 64-unit support does not
> > apply to these monitors: "This option has no effect on the SB, XB or FB monitors".
> >
> > Here's the SYSGEN passage:
> >
> > <quote>
> > 170. Do you want extended device-unit support (N)?
> >
> > EXTENDED DEVICE-UNIT SUPPORT OPTION:
> > The extended device-unit support option adds monitor support for
> > extended-unit device handlers. In addition to user written extended-unit
> > device handlers, the RT-11 handlers DU and LD may each have up to 64
> > device-units.
> >
> > If you respond NO to question 170, questions 250 and 255 are skipped.
> >
> > This option has no effect on the SB, XB, and ZB monitors.
> >
> > Even if you do not select extended device-unit support in the monitor, you
> > can build the ’dd’ handler with extended device-unit support. However, this
> > support will become active only when the ’dd’ handler is running under a
> > monitor that has been built with extended device-unit support.
> > <end quote>
> >
> > However, I can't find any code in SYSGEN.COM or RMON.MAC that
> > specifically disables 64-unit support for these monitors. Nor can I find any
> > general description of 64-unit support--all I can locate are scattered
> > references in the driver manual, etc.
> >
> > The problem arises because I'm porting XXDP to an RT-11 environment
> > and to do that I need to pass DU: port/CSR/unit/partition information from
> > the RT-11 driver to the XXDP driver.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> I believe UNI$64 is what triggers the support in the monitors and handlers. In the V5,6 manuals look for CF3.64 in $CNFG3.
>
> Jerry

Thanks Jerrry. The result of question 170. is the setting of UNI$64. I had another look at
UNI$64, tracking it through SYSGEN.COM, EDTG.MAC, USR.MAC and RMON.MAC and
I still can't find anywhere where it's cancelled by the SB/XB/ZB settings. What I should do
is to perform a SYSGEN and look at the results--I guess I'm just a bit too lazy to do that
at the moment. I haven't done a SYSGEN since the early 1980's...