After 14 non-maintainer releases, I'm the S-Lang non-maintainer. -- Ray Dassen

computers / alt.internet.wireless / Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

SubjectAuthor
* Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi aAndy Burnelli
`* Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard ontoJohn C.
 +* Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-allen

1
Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

<t66t6g$u5sk$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=282&group=alt.internet.wireless#282

From: spam@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 03:08:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 20 May 2022 02:08 UTC

Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard
onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter
using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

Posted out of the goodness of my heart to help others mount their
smartphone internal and external storage more easily than it took me.

Note my Android 12 phone is not rooted & it has no Google account set up.

The phone is connected to a hidden broadcast SSID on a static IP address
with a random MAC address assigned on every connection to the home router.

I did not set my home router to reserve any specific IP address for DHCP
because each Android 12 connection, by default, randomizes the MAC address
upon every Wi-Fi connection; so my home router is set to hand out DHCP IP
address only _after_ that low IP address range _and_ my phone is set to
a static IP address of 192.168.0.2 which is _below_ the router DHCP range.

Note also that it's common convention that "DavWWWRoot" is a keyword for
the WebDav server "Home Directory", which you will see being used below.

Today I switched from this ad-based free WebDav server with a simple setup,
but which wouldn't (for some reason) mount the external sdcard over Wi-Fi:
*WebDAV Server* by The Olive Tree
Free, +ads, requires gsf, rated 3.5, 100K+ installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>
Which was initially chosen simply because it works well out of the box.

Instead, I switched to this WebDav server which has a more complex setup.
*WebDAV Server - BestDAV* by ZQ Software
Free, ad free, gsf free, rated 3.4, 10K+ installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zq.webdav.app_free>

The setup is tricky as you must know a few things that you manually set.

For example, you'll need an _accurate_ filespec for your Home Directory.
Note that _many_ Android file explorers _simplify_ the visible filespecs!

Hence, I chose this file explorer because it shows the _real_ filespec:
*X-plore File Manager* by Lonely Cat Games
Free, ad free + inap$, requires gsf, rated 4.5, 10M+ installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore>

Using X-Plore, I noted the actual filespec to my internal sdcard folder:
/storage/emulated/0
And I noted the actual filespec to my external sdcard top level folder:
/storage/0000-0001 <== long ago I had named that sdcard using Windows 10

In the BestDav server, I set the following settings manually:
Web server setting:
Website Home Directory = /storage/emulated/0
Server Port = 8080
Bind to Local IP = any
Concurrent Connections = 8
Allow notifying status = checked
SSL settings:
Enable SSL = unchecked
Use our SSL certificate = unchecked
Key Store File = unset
Key Store Type = BKS (vs PKCS12)
Key Store Password = unset (XXXXXXXXXX)
Key Manager Password = unset (XXXXXXXXXX)
Authentication:
Allow HTTP digest authentication = unchecked
Setup Users = (I will do that later)
Setup Resources = (I will do that later)
Setup Allowed IPs = unset
Default features:
Allow the Default Home Page(_home.html) = checked
Allow Browsing Directory from Web Page = checked
Allow Uploading File from Web Page = checked
Allow WebDAV LOCK/UNLOCK method = checked
Miscellaneous:
Start server on boot = unchecked
Start server when WIFI connected = unchecked
Specify the SSID of the WIFI network = any
Keep the Wi-Fi lock = checked
Keep the device alive = checked
Device Discovery:
Enable Bonjour Discovery = checked
Log Setting:
Enable Logging = checked
Log file directory = [SDCARD]/weblog/
Maximum preserved days = 7
Receive message from Web:
Allow receiving message from web = checked
Vibrate when message is received = checked
Play sound when message is received = checked
Message Ringtone = defValue

Now click the "USERS" & "FOLDERS" buttons to set up the users and the
resources so that Windows can mount Android as a drive letter over Wi-Fi.

USERS:
I created a new user named "foobar" with a password of "snafu".
If you don't wish to set up a user, you can allow everyone to connect.

Note that "foobar" is _not_ the Windows 10 user, nor is "snafu" its
password, but you can set the user/password to that of your Windows user.

Note the GUI takes getting used to, where doubleclicking is required
to begin editing the users and passwords that you created for them.

FOLDERS:
I created a "Resource/Access Right" of "/" with the following permissions
/ === /storage/emulated/0 === everyone (_)none (_)Read only (o)Read/Write
/ === /storage/emulated/0 === foobar (_)none (_)Read only (o)Read/Write

Note that "/" here indicates the "DavWWWRoot" folder which is whatever
you set your "Home Directory" to (as all three terms are equivalent).

Then I pressed the Android BestDav server button "START SERVER".
This reports the URI you can use if you wish to connect using a browser.
http://192.168.0.2:8080 <== note I didn't use SSL but I could have

On Windows, I entered this command as a typical user:
C:\> net use Z: \\192.168.0.2@8080\DavWWWRoot /user:foobar snafu
The command completed successfully.

On Windows, that created a new mount point over Wi-Fi named:
DavWWWRoot (\\192.168.0.2@8080) (Z:)
Which the Windows File Explorer and the Windows command line respects.
C:\> Z:
Z:\> dir
Volume in drive Z has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 0000-0000

Directory of Z:\

05/15/2022 08:29 AM <DIR> .
05/15/2022 08:29 AM <DIR> ..
12/29/2021 12:15 AM <DIR> Samsung
02/02/2022 06:19 AM <DIR> Android
02/22/2022 07:52 AM <DIR> Music
05/17/2022 05:58 PM <DIR> Pictures
12/29/2021 12:15 AM <DIR> Ringtones
12/29/2021 12:15 AM <DIR> Alarms
12/29/2021 12:15 AM <DIR> Notifications
05/15/2022 08:29 AM <DIR> DCIM
04/16/2022 03:06 PM <DIR> Movies
05/16/2022 01:33 AM <DIR> Download
01/30/2022 06:04 AM <DIR> flore
04/08/2022 12:28 AM <DIR> Documents
12/29/2021 12:15 AM <DIR> Audiobooks
01/03/2022 10:33 PM <DIR> .face
01/01/2022 02:50 PM <DIR> Aurora
05/20/2022 02:14 AM <DIR> 0000 <== my tattletale folder
01/05/2022 06:12 PM <DIR> navigator
01/05/2022 11:17 PM <DIR> .UTSystemConfig
05/17/2022 05:45 PM <DIR> .DataStorage
04/21/2022 11:45 PM <DIR> MotionDetectorPro
04/22/2022 08:17 PM <DIR> ACRCalls
05/06/2022 02:16 AM <DIR> vysor
02/08/2022 10:05 PM <DIR> Unlocked
02/22/2022 11:18 AM <DIR> Cellular Info
02/22/2022 10:42 AM <DIR> Cellular_Connection_Monitor
02/22/2022 03:56 PM <DIR> InternetConnectionAlert
02/27/2022 03:27 AM <DIR> rfsignaldata
02/27/2022 03:45 AM <DIR> data
04/07/2022 09:49 PM <DIR> carbon
04/08/2022 02:02 AM <DIR> AppBackup
04/16/2022 06:02 AM <DIR> OSSLog
04/16/2022 06:11 AM <DIR> .csproduct
05/03/2022 09:46 PM <DIR> Podcasts
05/03/2022 09:46 PM <DIR> Recordings
05/05/2022 03:05 PM <DIR> BARIA
05/15/2022 07:25 AM <DIR> GCam
05/15/2022 08:05 AM <DIR> temp
05/15/2022 08:29 AM <DIR> hudunrecorder
05/15/2022 08:29 AM <DIR> .hudundevice
0 File(s) 134,628 bytes
41 Dir(s) 76,833,701,888 bytes free

That gave me read permission from Windows 10 over Wi-Fi of the entire
sdcard, including folders where I did not have write permission; but
crucially, in folders I had created on Android, I _did_ have write
permission from Windows 10 File Explorer (which is fine by me that way).

Now it's time to see the _external_ sdcard, instead of the internal sdcard.

I disconnected the mount point on Windows using the right click menu item
of the same name and killed the WebDav server on Android but I found out
later that you don't even need to disconnect the mount point from Windows.

With the WebDav server off on Android, in the WebDav server settings
I changed the Android WebDav server setting for the "Home Directory":
FROM: /storage/emulated/0
TO: /storage/0000-0001
And then I restarted the Android WebDav server.
And re-ran the Windows command:
C:\> net use Z: \\192.168.0.2@8080\DavWWWRoot /user:foobar snafu

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

<t67dja$kdp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=283&group=alt.internet.wireless#283

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 23:48:06 -0700
 by: John C. - Fri, 20 May 2022 06:48 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard          onto
> Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter          using only a free,
> ad-free Android WebDAV server
>
> Posted out of the goodness of my heart to help others mount their
> smartphone internal and external storage more easily than it took me.
> (big snip)

So... why did you crosspost this into the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup?

--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out

Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

<t6elj2$22r4a$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=286&group=alt.internet.wireless#286

From: allen@spam.com (allen)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 16:47:54 -0800
 by: allen - Mon, 23 May 2022 00:47 UTC

"John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com> said:

> So... why did you crosspost this into the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup?

I think he did that because it uses freeware.
He even said it in the title.
And in the body too.

How did you miss all the freeware?

Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

<t6enea$q5p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=287&group=alt.internet.wireless#287

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:19:05 -0700
 by: John C. - Mon, 23 May 2022 01:19 UTC

allen wrote:
> "John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com> said:
>
>> So... why did you crosspost this into the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup?
>
> I think he did that because it uses freeware.
> He even said it in the title.
> And in the body too.
>
> How did you miss all the freeware?

The "comp" in alt.comp.freeware refers to computer, not smart phone.

--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out
posts made from Google Groups and cross-posted (sent to more than one
newsgroup at a time) messages. I recommend you do likewise.

Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

<t6fn8m$vhq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=288&group=alt.internet.wireless#288

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 03:22:13 -0700
 by: John C. - Mon, 23 May 2022 10:22 UTC

John C. wrote:
> allen wrote:
>> "John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com> said:
>>
>>> So... why did you crosspost this into the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup?
>>
>> I think he did that because it uses freeware.
>> He even said it in the title.
>> And in the body too.
>>
>> How did you miss all the freeware?
>
> The "comp" in alt.comp.freeware refers to computer, not smart phone.

The problem is that Andy Burnelli's posts are kind of long and detailed.
It takes a while to figure out that they're not about computers
sometimes, so they're actually cluttering up ACF. There are some
newsgroups just for smartphones:

microsoft.public.smartphone
gmane.comp.hardware.smartphones.userland

and some just for cellphones in general:

alt.cellular-phone-tech
alt.cellular.telephones
alt.cell-phone.tech
alt.cell-phone
alt.comp.devices.cellphones
etc.

but they don't get a lot of traffic. Probably because most people are
using forums now. Tom's Guide website has some:

https://forums.tomsguide.com/categories/cell-phones.18/

and there are many others:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=smartphone+forum&t=h_&df=y&ia=web

ACF though, is supposed to be for computers, and has been around since
long before cell phones in general even existed in common useage.

However, it's easy enough to killfile Burnelli and I have done so.

--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out
posts made from Google Groups and cross-posted (sent to more than one
newsgroup at a time) messages. I recommend you do likewise.

Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

<t6hrt8$1farn$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=289&group=alt.internet.wireless#289

From: spam@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 06:54:07 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 24 May 2022 05:54 UTC

Paul wrote:

> On 5/23/2022 8:51 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
>> Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in
>>
>>> https://www.howtogeek.com/700733/how-to-link-an-android-phone-to-a-
>>> windows-10-pc-with-microsofts-your-phone-app/
>>
>> I have been using this for quite a while, but what I am looking for is the
>> ability to mount the storage on the Android device to the Windows file
>> system so it appears just like another drive.AFAIK that can't be done with
>> link to android.
>>
>> In other words, I want to be able to see my phone in a File Explorer
>> window, right-click on it, and wander around my Android storage as if it
>> was directly connected to my PC
>>

> That works best, when someone wants you to have that flavor of access.
>
> https://thesecmaster.com/explore-the-android-file-system-hierarchy-in-depth/
>
> "Android File System Hierarchy Explained:
>
> /boot
> /system
> /recovery
> /data
> /cache
> /misc
> /sdcard
> /sd-ext
>
> How To Access The Root Files In Android?"
>
> I think the ChromeOS I installed using Neverware,
> had more partitions than that. I wasn't particularly
> interested in any of the content, except to note that
> there seemed to be an awful lot of partitions on
> the disk when I looked later.
>
> One reason for slicing it up like that, is to make
> some parts harder to get at, than others.
>
> Paul

No sense repeating what is already in the detailed step by step tutorial
which Andy Burns already spoke about in the first response to the OP.
<https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Both sdcards mounted>

*Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows*
*over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using a free/ad-free Android WebDAV server*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/cAJKyBsOhfo>
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/gv1XQQzFx3o>

This command mounts the entire Android filesystem (including root) as a
drive letter over Wi-Fi using only freeware that is readily available.
C:\> net use Z: \\192.168.0.2@8080\DavWWWRoot /user:foobar snafu

Here's a dir command on the system folder (and I'm _not_ rooted).
Z:\>dir
Volume in drive Z has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 0000-0000

Directory of Z:\

12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> .
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> ..
05/03/2022 09:43 PM <DIR> efs
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> debug_ramdisk
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 publiccert.pem
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> second_stage_resources
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> odm_dlkm
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> vendor
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 data_mirror
05/15/2022 08:29 AM <DIR> sdcard
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 audit_filter_table
05/21/2022 08:44 PM <DIR> apex
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> lost+found
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> etc
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 dpolicy
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 spu
05/21/2022 08:44 PM <DIR> data
05/24/2022 06:44 AM <DIR> dev
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> vendor_dlkm
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 omr
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> acct
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> oem
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> optics
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 linkerconfig
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> prism
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> system_ext
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 sepolicy_version
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> bin
01/01/1970 01:00 AM <DIR> proc
05/21/2022 08:44 PM <DIR> sys
05/21/2022 08:44 PM <DIR> storage
05/21/2022 08:44 PM <DIR> mnt
05/03/2022 09:43 PM <DIR> cache
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> odm
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 init.environ.rc
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 init.container.rc
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> product
01/01/1970 01:00 AM <DIR> config
12/31/2008 04:00 PM <DIR> system
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 postinstall
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 metadata
01/01/1970 01:00 AM 0 carrier
13 File(s) 0 bytes
29 Dir(s) 65,016,954,880 bytes free
Z:\>

I didn't check if anything is missing, but that sure _looks_ like the
entire file system of the Android root (even as I'm not rooted).

Isn't it?

BTW, if someone can explain what's the key difference between an HTTP
server and a WebDAV server, that might be useful to the group at large.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to help others do what I do.

Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

<t6hs4f$1fb63$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=290&group=alt.internet.wireless#290

From: spam@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 06:57:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 24 May 2022 05:57 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> MajorLanGod wrote:
>
>> Can I mount an Android phone to the Windows file system wirelessly, that is
>> without a USB connection?
>
> See recent webDAV threads here or in c.m.android.

In the Android newsgroup the same question was asked where Steve responded
first with FTP, and, in response, I outlined _all_ the known methods we've
tested over the years, so rather than repeat all that effort, I'll paste it
here so not only will the OP benefit from those years of effort testing
every known freeware solution, but so will others on the Windows platform.

Note that _most_ of the software below is Windows freeware, but some is
Android freeware (and some, like the M$ solutions, requires both!).

sms wrote:

> Mount the phone as network storage
>
> Use an Android FTP app, i.e.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.medhaapps.wififtpserver.pro
>
> See <https://www.guidingtech.com/use-ftp-server-file-transfer-android/>

To be purposefully helpful, below is a summary of tested connections.

For the technically competent, Frank Slootweg and I spent a ton of time
analyzing _all_ the possible networking solutions over Wi-Fi years ago.
a. FTP freeware eservers
b. HTTP freeware servers/WebDAV freeware servers
c. SMB/Cifs/Samba freeware clients
d. MTPfs/LibMTP freeware tools
e. KDEConnect freeware tools
f. NitroShare freeware tools
g. Kies tools (I'm not sure if they're freeware though)
h. Vysor/Scrcpy freeware tools
etc.

A freweare FTP server on Android, as Steve suggested, works reasonably
well, where the two I suggest are "primitive FTP" & "FTP Server (free)".

The problem with FTP servers is that they will allow Windows to connect as
a network storage, as Steve mentioned, but not as a Windows drive letter.

The freeware WebDav servers, on the other hand, do allow the Android phone
to be connected to Windows as a drive letter.

The two WebDAV servers I suggest are "The Olive Tree WebDAV server" and
"BestDAV WebDAV server".

Of course, plenty of the other solutions above use Windows freeware too.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to help others who ask for advice.

Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

<t6hs7g$1fbb3$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=291&group=alt.internet.wireless#291

From: spam@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 06:59:35 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 24 May 2022 05:59 UTC

sticks wrote:

>>> Can I mount an Android phone to the Windows file system wirelessly, that is
>>> without a USB connection?
>>
>> <https://www.howtogeek.com/700733/how-to-link-an-android-phone-to-a-
>> windows-10-pc-with-microsofts-your-phone-app/>
>
> The link above, even though it was bracketed, was broken for me. I'm
> just wondering why?

That link is to the fully freeware solution using M$ Windows freeware.

Try this method of keeping the link in one line (let me know if it worked):
*How to Link an Android Phone to a Windows 10 PC With Microsoft Phone Link*
<https://www.howtogeek.com/700733/how-to-link-an-android-phone-to-a-windows-10-pc-with-microsofts-your-phone-app/>

That method uses two applications, one on Windows and the other on Android
(although for most Samsung phones, the Android app is already installed).
*What Is Microsoft Phone Link on Windows 10 and 11?*
<https://www.howtogeek.com/795474/what-is-microsoft-phone-link/>

Here is the Android app, which has had half a billion installs already!
*Link to Windows* by Microsoft Corporation
Free, ad free, requires gsf, rated 3.9, 500M+ installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.appmanager>

Interestingly my Samsung isn't listed as having the app by default, but
it's there, or at least an app with the same name is there by default.
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/connect-on-a-new-level-with-link-to-windows-bb7a82b6-7bcd-be1d-ccc8-dddb909bc07b>

Ah, I spoke too soon... it's on this longer detailed list, that's why:
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/supported-devices-for-phone-link-app-experiences-cb044172-87aa-9e41-d446-c4ac83ce8807>

For Windows, apparently, Microsoft claims it's already installed on both
Windows 10 and Windows 11 (but I didn't see it on my Windows 10 Pro).

I don't use this method but half a billion people do, so it must work.
Note that it's a fully Windows freeware solution that most people use.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to help others & to learn from them.

Re: Tutorial: Mounting smartphone sdcard & external sdcard onto Windows over Wi-Fi as a driver letter using only a free, ad-free Android WebDAV server

<t6hsa3$1fbdn$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292&group=alt.internet.wireless#292

From: spam@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 07:00:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 24 May 2022 06:00 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> Can I mount an Android phone to the Windows file system wirelessly, that is
> without a USB connection?

This is the exact same one-line question the OP posted to the Android
newsgroup, (which is fine), but rather than type up a new response given
all the work I put into responding there, I'll just paste what I wrote
there to help him out, and, I'll add them to this thread.

Note that this uses Windows freeware, in addition to Android freeware.

MajorLanGod wrote:

> How can I make my Android phone appear as a device in Windows File Explorer
> without having a USB connection to my PC, aka over Wi-Fi?

I would like to be purposefully helpful to answer your question.

Given there are _many_ potential solutions, there probably isn't enough
information in your one sentence to steer you toward the best solution.

Yet, to keep being purposefully helpful, I would suggest at first the most
_common_ Wi-Fi solution, which works especially well with some phones.

*Together is better with Microsoft and Samsung*
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sync-across-your-devices?r=1>

*How to use Microsoft Your Phone Companion on your Galaxy smartphone*
<https://insights.samsung.com/2022/03/07/how-to-use-microsoft-your-phone-companion-on-your-galaxy-smartphone-3/>

*Set up Link to Windows with your Samsung Galaxy phone*
<https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083910/>

*Samsung Galaxy Phones and Link to Windows*
*https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00087844/*

That works especially well with Samsung because the app is native on
Samsung phones, but you can also download the app onto other brands.

Windows software:
*Introducing Microsoft Phone Link*
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/phone-link>

Android software:
*Link to Windows*
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=link%20to%20windows&c=apps>

Note Microsoft keeps changing the name of the app on Windows.

In summary, if your phone is a Samsung, then the Android software is
already on there, but even if it's not, it "should" work on most phones.

To be clear, there are _many_ solutions. I don't use the solution above,
for example, but _most_ people will be using that Microsoft Wi-Fi setup.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to help others who ask for advice.