Make it idiot-proof, and someone will breed a better idiot. -- Oliver Elphick

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

SubjectAuthor
* Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?FACE
+* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Mayayana
|+- Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?FACE
|`* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?PeterC
| +* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Mayayana
| |`* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Java Jive
| | `* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Mayayana
| |  +- Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Java Jive
| |  `* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Frank Slootweg
| |   `* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Mayayana
| |    `* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Frank Slootweg
| |     `* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Mayayana
| |      `* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Frank Slootweg
| |       `* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Java Jive
| |        `- Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Stan Brown
| +- Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `- Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?FACE
+* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?Sjouke Burry
|+* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?FACE
||`- Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?FACE
|`- Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?slate_leeper
|`- Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?FACE
`* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?FACE
 `* Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?J. P. Gilliver (John)
  `- Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?FACE

Pages:12
Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<8q9jlg11i12f4iumeechsv84a1skquj9j3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2627&group=alt.windows7.general#2627

From: AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 08:58:46 -0400
 by: FACE - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:58 UTC

Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal experience,

I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop after 20
matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have put in a
ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sjckfc$5vt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2630&group=alt.windows7.general#2630

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:05:43 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:05 UTC

"FACE" <AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net> wrote
| | Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal
experience,
| | I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop
after 20
| matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have
put in a
| ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)

I have something called Duplicate Finder Free. I stopped
using it, though. If I remember correctly, it was choosing
which duplicates to delete willy nilly without giving me a
choice. Now I just sit down occasionally and set about
weeding by hand.

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<nnd$40c5d272$5ed889ea@71430ccbb0d546bc>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2631&group=alt.windows7.general#2631

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 20:02:30 +0200
From: burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Sjouke Burry - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 18:02 UTC

On 03.10.21 14:58, FACE wrote:

> Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal experience,
>
> I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop after 20
> matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have put in a
> ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)

Google for DoubleKiller.exe
It makes a list of files and allows you to pick and choose the action.
Works for all file types.
I use it mainly for duplicate pictures.

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<f5fklgtahbj83asrbjsobufemav96osjih@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2632&group=alt.windows7.general#2632

From: AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 19:31:27 -0400
 by: FACE - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:31 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:05:43 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam>, wrote

>"FACE" <AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net> wrote
>|
>| Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal
>experience,
>|
>| I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop
>after 20
>| matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have
>put in a
>| ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)
>
> I have something called Duplicate Finder Free. I stopped
>using it, though. If I remember correctly, it was choosing
>which duplicates to delete willy nilly without giving me a
>choice. Now I just sit down occasionally and set about
>weeding by hand.

That was one of the two I used and i had it set to do nothing but give me a report.
That was also the one that said "no duplicates found" when i knew there were some
out there.

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<udfklgdakbrgeb8e44s541rpoj4at2hnpm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2633&group=alt.windows7.general#2633

From: AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 19:35:05 -0400
 by: FACE - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:35 UTC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 20:02:30 +0200, in alt.windows7.general, Sjouke Burry
<burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll>, wrote

>On 03.10.21 14:58, FACE wrote:
>>
>> Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal experience,
>>
>> I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop after 20
>> matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have put in a
>> ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)
>>
>Google for DoubleKiller.exe
>It makes a list of files and allows you to pick and choose the action.
>Works for all file types.
>I use it mainly for duplicate pictures.

I'll look for that and give it a try!!! Thanks.

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<nrfklgpp3i88o8big3rgh4jf22elcrvafh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2634&group=alt.windows7.general#2634

From: AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 19:42:42 -0400
 by: FACE - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:42 UTC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 19:35:05 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, FACE
<AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net>, wrote

>On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 20:02:30 +0200, in alt.windows7.general, Sjouke Burry
><burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll>, wrote
>
>>On 03.10.21 14:58, FACE wrote:
>>>
>>> Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal experience,
>>>

>>> I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop after 20
>>> matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have put in a
>>> ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)
>>>
>>Google for DoubleKiller.exe
>>It makes a list of files and allows you to pick and choose the action.
>>Works for all file types.
>>I use it mainly for duplicate pictures.
>
>I'll look for that and give it a try!!! Thanks.

I like this "- Allows to export the result list to a text file" and i like that it
is a standalone.....
tomorrow i test it......

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<1fp4bmvdz8hji.1vs8gei6vidbs.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2637&group=alt.windows7.general#2637

From: giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 08:57:12 +0100
 by: PeterC - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 07:57 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:05:43 -0400, Mayayana wrote:

> "FACE" <AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net> wrote
>|
>| Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal
> experience,
>|
>| I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop
> after 20
>| matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have
> put in a
>| ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)
>
> I have something called Duplicate Finder Free. I stopped
> using it, though. If I remember correctly, it was choosing
> which duplicates to delete willy nilly without giving me a
> choice. Now I just sit down occasionally and set about
> weeding by hand.

I'm using Video Duplicate Finder, free from:
https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/File-management/Video-Duplicate-Finder.shtml
Allows selection of what to delete; also has enough info to tell if one
verion is higher resolution than the other, based on size of course and
other parameters being the same.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sjeprd$lcq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2639&group=alt.windows7.general#2639

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 07:49:29 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 11:49 UTC

"PeterC" <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote

| I'm using Video Duplicate Finder, free from:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/File-management/Video-Duplicate-Finder.shtml
| Allows selection of what to delete; also has enough info to tell if one
| verion is higher resolution than the other, based on size of course and
| other parameters being the same.

Thanks. I don't have many videos. But I like to keep
redundant backups on 2 disks with maybe 10 partitions.
So sometimes I like to go through and make sure I have
only one copy of files on each disk.

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<tbtllghet0oifc1b1c54r69p7tuvl43md0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2642&group=alt.windows7.general#2642

From: lcgh-edlf@xemaps.com (slate_leeper)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 08:39:39 -0400
 by: slate_leeper - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:39 UTC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 08:58:46 -0400, FACE <AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net>
wrote:

>Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal experience,
>
>I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop after 20
>matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have put in a
>ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)

Visual Similarity does that, and quite quickly. However it apparently
only checks the first frame of the video, so a video that has been
trimmed in the beginning will no longer be found as a match for the
original.

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<0ptllgl7ipf3fdooqtg22g45deapqtnt30@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2643&group=alt.windows7.general#2643

From: AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 08:49:44 -0400
 by: FACE - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:49 UTC

On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 08:39:39 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, slate_leeper
<lcgh-edlf@xemaps.com>, wrote

>On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 08:58:46 -0400, FACE <AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net>
>wrote:
>

>>Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal experience,
>>
>>I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop after 20
>>matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have put in a
>>ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)
>

>Visual Similarity does that, and quite quickly. However it apparently
>only checks the first frame of the video, so a video that has been
>trimmed in the beginning will no longer be found as a match for the
>original.

Thanks. I considered that "first frame" possibility -- and how it would miss on
shortened or trimmed videos -- or even a sampling such as first, thousandth, five
thousandth, frame. The only alternative i quickly saw was a scene search and for
that we are talking about a lot of time.......

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<1hV9v3nh5vWhFwas@255soft.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2644&group=alt.windows7.general#2644

Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:15:13 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 13:15 UTC

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 08:57:12, PeterC <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:05:43 -0400, Mayayana wrote:
>
>> "FACE" <AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net> wrote
>>|
>>| Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal
>> experience,
[]
>I'm using Video Duplicate Finder, free from:
>https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/File-
>management/Video-Duplicate-Finder.shtml
>Allows selection of what to delete; also has enough info to tell if one
>verion is higher resolution than the other, based on size of course and
>other parameters being the same.

Thanks for recommending that: looks very good! (First thing I've used
that actually uses most of all four of my "cores"! [i3.] Thoughtful of
them to put a "pause" button in - let me pause it to let my CPU cool a
bit, and then carry on from where it had got to.)

I was wondering what you meant by "based on size and other parameters
being the same", but - in case others are wondering: when it shows
duplicates, it shows for each in a group (usually 2) of nominal
duplicates:

duration vid-enc aud-enc %
thumnail (full name) resolution fps stereo (etc.)
size kbps aud-samprate

(I presume the % is an assessment of how good a match).

So it's very informative! And you can even double-click on the thumbnail
and it plays.

A couple of noteworthies:

1. It's a zip, but no installer: it contains a folder with structure. I
(after scanning of course, and then again after moving) just moved the
structure somewhere, and ran one of the two executables
(VideoDuplicateFinderWindows.exe - the other being called
VideoDuplicateFinderConsole.exe). [AVG popped up twice saying it was
sending a file for checking (same name twice), but said it didn't find
anything.]

2. The big window where it shows the details doesn't populate until the
scan is finished, so you might think it isn't finding any.

I pointed it at a folder which contained 1,345 (mostly short - few
minutes) clips (including in the two subfolders; you can choose whether
to include subfolders), totalling 14.7 GB, and it took 10 minutes (it
gives you a progress bar, elapsed time, and [estimated obviously so it
fluctuates] time remaining], and says it has found 150 duplicates in 68
groups (so I've obviously got some triplicates).

Looks like a _very_ useful utility for those of us who tend to download
things we might already have - but the comparison feature looks _very_
good - not just looking for identicals.

You can set the percentage threshold - the above was with the default of
96.

.... "Peter and out." ... "Kevin and out." (Link episode)

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<x8Qs4mo1JxWhFw71@255soft.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2645&group=alt.windows7.general#2645

Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 15:40:53 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:40 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 at 20:02:30, Sjouke Burry
<burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote (my responses usually follow
points raised):
>On 03.10.21 14:58, FACE wrote:
>>
>> Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your
>>personal experience,
>>
>> I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions
>>stop after 20
>> matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i
>>have put in a
>> ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)
>>
>Google for DoubleKiller.exe
>It makes a list of files and allows you to pick and choose the action.
>Works for all file types.
>I use it mainly for duplicate pictures.

For all-file-types, i. e. just looking for byte-by-byte identicals, I
like http://www.satsignal.eu/software/disk.html#FindDuplicates -
ancient, but works. However, for videos, VideoDuplicateFinder (see
earlier posts) seems excellent, and for comparing pictures, a dedicated
picture duplicate finder is better, as it may compare pictures in
different formats (e. g. JPEG and PNG), resolutions, and sometimes even
orientations. There are many - I use Duplicate Image Finder from
runningman software, if you can find it (version 1.0.20 - a much later
version probably has piggybackware).

A true-born Englishman does not know any language. He does not speak English
too well either but, at least, he is not proud of this. He is, however,
immensely proud of not knowing any foreign languages. (George Mikes, "How to
be Inimitable" [1960].)

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sjf92m$1d7q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2647&group=alt.windows7.general#2647

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:11:00 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 16:11 UTC

On 04/10/2021 12:49, Mayayana wrote:
> "PeterC" <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote
>
> | I'm using Video Duplicate Finder, free from:
> |
> https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/File-management/Video-Duplicate-Finder.shtml
> | Allows selection of what to delete; also has enough info to tell if one
> | verion is higher resolution than the other, based on size of course and
> | other parameters being the same.
>
> Thanks. I don't have many videos. But I like to keep
> redundant backups on 2 disks with maybe 10 partitions.
> So sometimes I like to go through and make sure I have
> only one copy of files on each disk.

Wow, that sounds like some crazy weird system. Why 10 partitions? No,
on second thoughts, don't try to explain, get a NAS instead.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<1t8mlg1lgilarquqj39usk20fljcgsok3e@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2648&group=alt.windows7.general#2648

From: AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 12:21:24 -0400
 by: FACE - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 16:21 UTC

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 08:57:12 +0100, in alt.windows7.general, PeterC
<giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk>, wrote

>On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:05:43 -0400, Mayayana wrote:
>
>> "FACE" <AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net> wrote
>>|
>>| Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal
>> experience,
>>|
>>| I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop
>> after 20
>>| matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have
>> put in a
>>| ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)
>>
>> I have something called Duplicate Finder Free. I stopped
>> using it, though. If I remember correctly, it was choosing
>> which duplicates to delete willy nilly without giving me a
>> choice. Now I just sit down occasionally and set about
>> weeding by hand.
>
>I'm using Video Duplicate Finder, free from:
>https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/File-management/Video-Duplicate-Finder.shtml
>Allows selection of what to delete; also has enough info to tell if one
>verion is higher resolution than the other, based on size of course and
>other parameters being the same.

I have downloaded the "Video Duplicate Finder" and will test it next time I bring my
external HD on line

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sjfcl0$ds6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2652&group=alt.windows7.general#2652

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 13:10:34 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:10 UTC

"Java Jive" <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote

| Wow, that sounds like some crazy weird system. Why 10 partitions?

Two disks for redundancy. Each OS gets it's own C drive
partition for just the OS and software. Each disk has a
graphics partition. Each disk has a general backup partition.
(SDKs, software, OS images, etc) Each disk has an NTFS
partition for big files. Each disk has basic data backup, like
programming code, email, and general personal data. Sort
of a poor man's RAID.

Multiple partitions allows for systematic storage and backup.

By suggesting a NAS I assume you're saying I should
waste money on an external server and risk security on
my computers by enabling networking functionality. No
thanks. I have several computers here. I don't want any
of them to be allowing remote access or file sharing. All
have at least 3 partitions per disk: C, backup and "extra".
With all I keep disk images, so if any one goes I can reload
it and have redundant backup to repopulate a new disk 0
from disk 1. I also keep disk images and some backup on
DVDs, USB sticks, and in a safe deposit box.

I would suggest that you don't really need to jump on every
bandwagon, wasting your money. Very few people actually
need a NAS, except some small businesses. It's like the
external hard disk fad. People run out and buy overpriced,
external drives for "safe backup". Then they leave their 2 TB
internal disk empty. So they still only have one copy of files!
When the external disk dies they're left wondering why they
spent $100 for it, since they've lost everything, anyway. The
only advantage was that a surge *might* not have killed
the external drive. If that's all you get from the deal, why not
just buy a UPS?

But if you think it's clever to keep your data on an extra
computer, paying an extra cost and enabling risky networking,
that's up to you. I'll be happy to sell you some DVDs and a 32 GB
USB stick for half what you paid for your NAS. :)

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sjfkih$1b5n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2654&group=alt.windows7.general#2654

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 20:27:08 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 19:27 UTC

On 04/10/2021 18:10, Mayayana wrote:
> "Java Jive" <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote
>
> | Wow, that sounds like some crazy weird system. Why 10 partitions?
>
> Two disks for redundancy. Each OS gets it's own C drive
> partition for just the OS and software. Each disk has a
> graphics partition. Each disk has a general backup partition.
> (SDKs, software, OS images, etc) Each disk has an NTFS
> partition for big files. Each disk has basic data backup, like
> programming code, email, and general personal data. Sort
> of a poor man's RAID.

Crazy.

> Multiple partitions allows for systematic storage and backup.

Not against the disk going down, theft, or fire.

> By suggesting a NAS I assume you're saying I should
> waste money on an external server

I wouldn't regard it as a waste of money to have a secure back-up
system, quite the reverse.

> and risk security on
> my computers by enabling networking functionality.

You risk as much just by logging on to your machine, see below.
Enabling networking, if done properly and knowledgeably, is not a
significant security risk.

> No
> thanks. I have several computers here. I don't want any
> of them to be allowing remote access or file sharing.

They're two different things, none of my machines allow remote access,
but their data partitions can be accessed by someone giving valid logon
credentials for a given machine, so that's just as secure as logging on
to the machine itself.

> All
> have at least 3 partitions per disk: C, backup and "extra".
> With all I keep disk images, so if any one goes I can reload
> it and have redundant backup to repopulate a new disk 0
> from disk 1. I also keep disk images and some backup on
> DVDs, USB sticks, and in a safe deposit box.

I have found NASs to be far, far, more reliable than DVDs, so much so
that all my CDs, DVDs, VCs, ACs, and vinyls are backed up on them, which
means that to play anything all I have to do is click a file. Right now
I'm listening to the BBC science magazine programme Science In Action
downloaded via GetIPlayer. How TF are you going to fit my 7-8TB data on
DVDs and USB sticks?

> I would suggest that you don't really need to jump on every
> bandwagon, wasting your money. Very few people actually
> need a NAS, except some small businesses. It's like the
> external hard disk fad. People run out and buy overpriced,
> external drives for "safe backup". Then they leave their 2 TB
> internal disk empty. So they still only have one copy of files!
> When the external disk dies they're left wondering why they
> spent $100 for it, since they've lost everything, anyway. The
> only advantage was that a surge *might* not have killed
> the external drive. If that's all you get from the deal, why not
> just buy a UPS?
>
> But if you think it's clever to keep your data on an extra
> computer, paying an extra cost and enabling risky networking,
> that's up to you. I'll be happy to sell you some DVDs and a 32 GB
> USB stick for half what you paid for your NAS. :)

See above, some of the things you say sound like someone stuck in 1990s
and unable to adjust to new situations, and this is certainly one of them.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sjfss9.3fk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2656&group=alt.windows7.general#2656

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: 4 Oct 2021 19:49:05 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 19:49 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
[...]
> By suggesting a NAS I assume you're saying I should
> waste money on an external server and risk security on
> my computers by enabling networking functionality. No
> thanks. I have several computers here. I don't want any
> of them to be allowing remote access or file sharing.

It's not about 'remote' - i.e. external, from outside your house -
access, but about access on/*within* your LAN.

Don't you use *in-house* file sharing - i.e. Network Shares - between
your computers on your LAN? (Assuming you do have a LAN.)

If you don't use file sharing, how do you get stuff from one computer
to another?

[Rest of silly uninformed rant deleted.]

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sjfqqa$ver$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2658&group=alt.windows7.general#2658

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:12:20 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 21:12 UTC

"Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

| It's not about 'remote' - i.e. external, from outside your house -
| access, but about access on/*within* your LAN.

Both carry risks.

| Don't you use *in-house* file sharing - i.e. Network Shares - between
| your computers on your LAN? (Assuming you do have a LAN.)
| No. I don't allow networking between any of them.

| If you don't use file sharing, how do you get stuff from one computer
| to another?

If I'd wanted it on that computer I would have put it there. :)
Occasionally I want something. The other day I downloaded a
video and wanted it on the Raspberry Pi to watch on TV. I use
a USB stick for that. Not a big deal. I don't normally move files
between machines and rarely print. So there's no reason to enable
that functionality.

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sjhfdl.99g.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2668&group=alt.windows7.general#2668

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: 5 Oct 2021 10:11:45 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 10:11 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote
>
> | It's not about 'remote' - i.e. external, from outside your house -
> | access, but about access on/*within* your LAN.
> |

> Both carry risks.

Nope. Access on/*within* your LAN doesn't carry any more risks than
you already have. A NAS on your LAN isn't any more risky than the
computers on your LAN.

Anyway, because you say (below) you don't use file sharing between
your computers, the issue is moot, because in your - rather strange, to
put it mildly - setup/usage, a NAS would add little - if any - value.

That of course doesn't mean a NAS wouldn't/couldn't add value if you
would use it sensibly, i.e. in a non-uninformed way.

> | Don't you use *in-house* file sharing - i.e. Network Shares - between
> | your computers on your LAN? (Assuming you do have a LAN.)
> |
> No. I don't allow networking between any of them.
>
> | If you don't use file sharing, how do you get stuff from one computer
> | to another?
> |

> If I'd wanted it on that computer I would have put it there. :)
> Occasionally I want something. The other day I downloaded a
> video and wanted it on the Raspberry Pi to watch on TV. I use
> a USB stick for that. Not a big deal. I don't normally move files
> between machines and rarely print. So there's no reason to enable
> that functionality.

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sjhe0q$7b2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2669&group=alt.windows7.general#2669

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 07:46:11 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 11:46 UTC

"Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

| That of course doesn't mean a NAS wouldn't/couldn't add value if you
| would use it sensibly, i.e. in a non-uninformed way.

You two are like a comedy team. Always looking
for a chance to bicker about how others are wrong and
you have the perfect answer. But, OK, send me a NAS
and I'll try it. Maybe it will be fun to send files around
the house to the computers I rarely use. (You didn't think
I was going to pay for a device I don't need, did you? :)

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sjhokg.3ok.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2670&group=alt.windows7.general#2670

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: 5 Oct 2021 12:48:56 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 12:48 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote
>

> | That of course doesn't mean a NAS wouldn't/couldn't add value if you
> | would use it sensibly, i.e. in a non-uninformed way.
> |

> You two are like a comedy team. Always looking
> for a chance to bicker about how others are wrong and
> you have the perfect answer.

You might (not) want to look in the mirror! As so often, you were
bickering about and bashing things which you know little to nothing
about. And because you're - putting it mildly - 'uninformed', your
critisms - *not* just of a NAS - are ludicrous.

> But, OK, send me a NAS
> and I'll try it. Maybe it will be fun to send files around
> the house to the computers I rarely use. (You didn't think
> I was going to pay for a device I don't need, did you? :)

You don't have to play extra stupid, we already got it. A NAS is *not*
just "to send files around the house to the computers I rarely use". It
can be used for that, but it's not its only/mainly purpose.

As to "a device I don't need": Because you're uninformed, you're in no
position to judge whether or not you 'need' a NAS. Note: 'need' in scare
quotes, because of course you, I and most people here, 'need' very few
things, but they might be handy and might be a good alternative for the
things you (think you) *do* 'need', i.e. the stuff you have purchased
earlier.

Anyway, being uninformed is of course perfectly fine. We're all
uninformed about a lot of things. But acting obnoxious and pompous about
things you know nothing/little about, is rather unimpressive.

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<qroolgdtbu0kt1rnmhqddbbqq7q0n8nmd8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2671&group=alt.windows7.general#2671

From: AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 11:06:56 -0400
 by: FACE - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:06 UTC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 08:58:46 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, FACE
<AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net>, wrote

>Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal experience,
>
>I have tried two found with my search engine, but their free versions stop after 20
>matches or less and then they say "no duplicates found" (even when i have put in a
>ringer duplicate pair of .mp4's to test it.)

target is 4393 files, 266 folders, 1.62 TB. (Seagate external 4t drive, so it is
not always plugged in -- in fact it is plugged in as little as possible.)

I have tried:
VDF 2.08 (2.0.8 Pre-release) Found 12 dupes
Duplicate file-finder (2.7) Found 1 dupe (the ringer
Double-Killer (1.62.82) Found 1 dupe (the ringer

None were perfect. (I am not either)
All found the intentionally added ringer (same size and same resolution, different
name)
None of them found a known ringer (different size, different resolution, different
name -- same content.)

These are all portable apps. I have tried one install app i forget the name of.

Of course more are out there................

VDF (pre-release version) has a screen sizing problem but that does not appear to
impact its functionality.

Thanks to all!

times to search for dupes and produce a report:
VDF ~15 min
DFF < 5 min
DK < 3 min

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<sji3jq$8gd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2673&group=alt.windows7.general#2673

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 18:56:08 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:56 UTC

On 05/10/2021 13:48, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Anyway, being uninformed is of course perfectly fine. We're all
> uninformed about a lot of things. But acting obnoxious and pompous about
> things you know nothing/little about, is rather unimpressive.

+1

When Mayayana posts about something he actually knows about, quite often
I agree with him, but he doesn't seem to realise just how out of touch
he is about a number of other things.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<2OmNUnCpuJXhFwRU@255soft.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2675&group=alt.windows7.general#2675

Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 19:38:33 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 18:38 UTC

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 11:06:56, FACE <AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
>On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 08:58:46 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, FACE
><AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net>, wrote
>

>>Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal
>>experience,
[]
>I have tried:
>VDF 2.08 (2.0.8 Pre-release) Found 12 dupes
>Duplicate file-finder (2.7) Found 1 dupe (the ringer
>Double-Killer (1.62.82) Found 1 dupe (the ringer
>
>None were perfect. (I am not either)
>All found the intentionally added ringer (same size and same
>resolution, different
>name)
>None of them found a known ringer (different size, different
>resolution, different
>name -- same content.)
[]
>times to search for dupes and produce a report:
> VDF ~15 min
> DFF < 5 min
> DK < 3 min

Assuming they had them, did you play with the percentage setting on all
of them? The one someone recommended in this thread -
VideoDuplicateFinder (is that your VDF?) - had one that defaulted to 96
(per cent). I think the first directory I tried it on found lots of
genuine duplicates (varying resolutions or filetypes, same video) and I
think one false match, the second directory found lots of genuine
duplicates and two false matches - at that default setting, which thus
seems a good choice.

3 --

We no longer make things, but sell each other consultancy on how to run
consulatancies better. (Michael Cross, Computing 1999-3-4 [p. 28].)

Re: Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder?

<j30qlglj4gn4jko9kkgf4nlg6qjmg3u8b1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2682&group=alt.windows7.general#2682

From: AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 22:01:42 -0400
 by: FACE - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 02:01 UTC

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 19:38:33 +0100, in alt.windows7.general, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>, wrote

>On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 11:06:56, FACE <AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net> wrote
>(my responses usually follow points raised):
>>On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 08:58:46 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, FACE
>><AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net>, wrote
>>

>>>Any suggestions for a duplicate Video file finder? From your personal
>>>experience,
>[]
>>I have tried:
>>VDF 2.08 (2.0.8 Pre-release) Found 12 dupes
>>Duplicate file-finder (2.7) Found 1 dupe (the ringer
>>Double-Killer (1.62.82) Found 1 dupe (the ringer
>>
>>None were perfect. (I am not either)
>>All found the intentionally added ringer (same size and same
>>resolution, different
>>name)
>>None of them found a known ringer (different size, different
>>resolution, different
>>name -- same content.)
>[]
>>times to search for dupes and produce a report:
>> VDF ~15 min
>> DFF < 5 min
>> DK < 3 min
>>
>Assuming they had them, did you play with the percentage setting on all
>of them? The one someone recommended in this thread -
>VideoDuplicateFinder (is that your VDF?) - had one that defaulted to 96
>(per cent). I think the first directory I tried it on found lots of
>genuine duplicates (varying resolutions or filetypes, same video) and I
>think one false match, the second directory found lots of genuine
>duplicates and two false matches - at that default setting, which thus
>seems a good choice.
>>

>3
They all had a percentage threshold that could be set. i started it on
"Double-killer" and it appeared that it would take forever so i dropped it from
there and the idea of doing it. The report from VDF (Yes, that is Video Duplicate
Finder) displayed a percentage match anyway and all were 100% except one was 96.67%
-- i have not looked into that yet.

Interesting -- i just looked at the VDF exported report and the percentage match
does not appear on there.......