Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 20:55:25 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@invalid.org (bad sector)
Subject: GID's
 by: bad sector - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 00:55 UTC

Jockeying for cross-distro commonality I created a new group TheseUsers
on all my systems with a GID like 1950. Somehow in Slackware this GID
ended up being 1400 and I don't remember how it became 1400. Before
editing it to the same value as all others like 1950, is there anything
in Slackware that would throw a fit if I do that?

Rationale:
I generally like to stay out of the system's way in order not to get
stepped on, so rather than use the canned 'users' group with the fairly
canned GID of 100, I use a new group with another GID and assign
all my stuff to to UserMe and this group TheseUsers

Re: GID's

<tjsm96$vuot$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1484&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1484

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: GID's
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 02:56:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 02:56 UTC

bad sector <forgetski@invalid.org> wrote:

> Jockeying for cross-distro commonality I created a new group TheseUsers
> on all my systems with a GID like 1950. Somehow in Slackware this GID
> ended up being 1400 and I don't remember how it became 1400. Before
> editing it to the same value as all others like 1950, is there anything
> in Slackware that would throw a fit if I do that?

Any files/directories created by that user while it was GID 1400 would
remain 1400 unless you do a 'find' looking for gid 1400 items and
updating their values.

Any files/directories that are only accessible because the user has GID
1400 would become inaccessible until you change the files/directories
to be GID 1950.

Beyond that, nothing much should care, as 1950 or 1400 are not groups
typically assigned to system functions.

> Rationale:
> I generally like to stay out of the system's way in order not to get
> stepped on, so rather than use the canned 'users' group with the fairly
> canned GID of 100, I use a new group with another GID and assign
> all my stuff to to UserMe and this group TheseUsers

If you are the only user of the system, your particular user's group
value holds little usefulness. The majority use of groups for an
otherwise single user system is assigning system groups to your user so
you can access those system items (i.e., the audio group to be able to
control the mixer settings, etc.).

Re: GID's

<tjt4av$11uos$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1485&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1485

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 06:56:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 06:56 UTC

On Tue, 01 Nov 2022 20:55:25 -0400, bad sector wrote:

> I created a new group TheseUsers on all my systems with a GID like
> 1950. Somehow in Slackware this GID ended up being 1400 and I don't
> remember how it became 1400.

How did you create the group in Slackware? Manually editing /etc/group or
using the command groupadd?

I have never used groupadd, but I know that useradd will suggest a
default UID which basically will be the next free UID.

My guess is that you used groupadd and got a default next free GID or
mistyped the GID when manually editing /etc/group.

regards Henrik

Re: GID's

<AU6dnSs1yph2zv_-nZ2dnZfqn_gAAAAA@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1486&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1486

From: forgetski@invalid.org (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 11:26:35 +0000
 by: bad sector - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 11:26 UTC

On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 06:56:31 -0000 (UTC), Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Nov 2022 20:55:25 -0400, bad sector wrote:
>
>> I created a new group TheseUsers on all my systems with a GID like
>> 1950. Somehow in Slackware this GID ended up being 1400 and I don't
>> remember how it became 1400.
>
> How did you create the group in Slackware? Manually editing /etc/group
> or using the command groupadd?

I don't remember, my memory is still razor sharp but it starting to get
just as short :-)

> I have never used groupadd, but I know that useradd will suggest a
> default UID which basically will be the next free UID.
>
> My guess is that you used groupadd and got a default next free GID or
> mistyped the GID when manually editing /etc/group.
>
> regards Henrik

Re: GID's

<AU6dnSo1ypiqyv_-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1487&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1487

From: forgetski@invalid.org (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 11:40:39 +0000
 by: bad sector - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 11:40 UTC

On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 02:56:39 -0000 (UTC), Rich wrote:

> bad sector <forgetski@invalid.org> wrote:
>>
>> Jockeying for cross-distro commonality I created a new group TheseUsers
>> on all my systems with a GID like 1950. Somehow in Slackware this GID
>> ended up being 1400 and I don't remember how it became 1400. Before
>> editing it to the same value as all others like 1950, is there anything
>> in Slackware that would throw a fit if I do that?
>
> Any files/directories created by that user while it was GID 1400 would
> remain 1400 unless you do a 'find' looking for gid 1400 items and
> updating their values.
>
> Any files/directories that are only accessible because the user has GID
> 1400 would become inaccessible until you change the files/directories to
> be GID 1950.
>
> Beyond that, nothing much should care, as 1950 or 1400 are not groups
> typically assigned to system functions.
>
>> Rationale:
>> I generally like to stay out of the system's way in order not to get
>> stepped on, so rather than use the canned 'users' group with the fairly
>> canned GID of 100, I use a new group with another GID and assign all my
>> stuff to to UserMe and this group TheseUsers
>
> If you are the only user of the system, your particular user's group
> value holds little usefulness. The majority use of groups for an
> otherwise single user system is assigning system groups to your user so
> you can access those system items (i.e., the audio group to be able to
> control the mixer settings, etc.).

I'm not the only one but I do use several user id's and some users have
all their stuff linked to a remote data medium. This way a user home data
failure on either the remote medium or in the root /home tree of real
files still allows logging-in as another user. All users may boot any one
of 7 distros so it's important to have totally uniform user id's,
groupings, GID's etc. or I run into issues with that layer of user data
that is common to all systems and linked from all distros. So thanks, I
will now edit to something like 1950 in Slackware as well and see to
changing all the perms accordingly.

Re: GID's

<slrntm655q.1me5.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1488&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1488

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 20:09:14 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 01:09 UTC

On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 11:40:39 +0000, bad sector wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 02:56:39 -0000 (UTC), Rich wrote:
>

> I'm not the only one but I do use several user id's and some users have
> all their stuff linked to a remote data medium. This way a user home data
> failure on either the remote medium or in the root /home tree of real
> files still allows logging-in as another user. All users may boot any one
> of 7 distros so it's important to have totally uniform user id's,
> groupings, GID's etc. or I run into issues with that layer of user data
> that is common to all systems and linked from all distros. So thanks, I
> will now edit to something like 1950 in Slackware as well and see to
> changing all the perms accordingly.

Yep I hear that. I also have a multi-boot setup. All installs are clean,
not upgrades. All common users have a 15xx uid/gid to make it easy to
extract/replace them from /etc/group, gshadow, passwd, and shadow files.