//GO.SYSIN DD *, DOODAH, DOODAH

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Aware

SubjectAuthor
* 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Awarebad sector
`* Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-AwareHenrik Carlqvist
 +* Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-AwareEdwin Johnson
 |`- Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Awarebad sector
 `* Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Awarebad sector
  `* Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-AwareHenrik Carlqvist
   `- Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Awarebad sector

1
15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Aware

<SbCdnbd_Bb80c6r_nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1070&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1070

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:19:04 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Subject: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Aware
 by: bad sector - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 03:19 UTC

I reinstalled 15.0_64 on both my machines without major hangups.

First item out of half a dozen on my fix list is Audacity.

- Start qjackctl (it in turn starts jack)
- Start Audacity
- Cannot select Jack in "Prefs/Devs/Host" or in dropdown list, it ain't there.

I had installed Audacity either with slpkg or sbopkg, I've read some stories about having to "build audacity against jack".
What is this, does the standard source not include it? How would I fix the issue?

TIA

Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Aware

<t196ao$q0q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1071&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1071

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Aware
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 06:35:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 06:35 UTC

On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:19:04 -0400, bad sector wrote:
> I had installed Audacity either with slpkg or sbopkg, I've read some
> stories about having to "build audacity against jack".
> What is this, does the standard source not include it? How would I fix
> the issue?

I haven't tried it myself, but the audacity SBO page at
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/audio/audacity/ states that jack
is an autodetected dependency when building audacity.

Did you install the jack package before installing audacity? If not, you
probably built yourself an audacity without support of jack.

regards Henrik

Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Aware

<t19u5p$1otq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1073&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1073

From: elj@elj.org (Edwin Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:22:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Edwin Johnson - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:22 UTC

On 2022-03-21, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:19:04 -0400, bad sector wrote:
>> I had installed Audacity either with slpkg or sbopkg, I've read some
>> stories about having to "build audacity against jack".
>> What is this, does the standard source not include it? How would I fix
>> the issue?
>
> I haven't tried it myself, but the audacity SBO page at
> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/audio/audacity/ states that jack
> is an autodetected dependency when building audacity.
>
> Did you install the jack package before installing audacity? If not, you
> probably built yourself an audacity without support of jack.

Another solution is to download Alian Bob's package and support files
from his site: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/

----------
Part of my notes from this install:

So first install the jack2 libraries/files and then the vamp libraries
and files and then the actual modified audacity. Install with:

upgradepkg --install-new pkgname

Following are the three files:

jack2-1.9.20-x86_64-1alien.txz
vamp-plugin-sdk-2.8.0-sdk_64-2alien.tgz
audacity-3.0.2-x86_64-2alien.txz
----------

This works fine and I've also installed his 32-bit package on an older
laptop and all work fine. Hope you have as much success as I did.
Notice that the 'jack2' is the package you need, even though there is
a 'jack' (no 2). These are already built but install them per his
instructions using the 'upgradepkg --install-new pkgname' as above.

....Edwin

Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Aware

<vZadnQNO3vj9IKX_nZ2dnUU7-N_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1074&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1074

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:01:03 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 18:01 UTC

On 3/21/22 02:35, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:19:04 -0400, bad sector wrote:
>> I had installed Audacity either with slpkg or sbopkg, I've read some
>> stories about having to "build audacity against jack".
>> What is this, does the standard source not include it? How would I fix
>> the issue?
>
> I haven't tried it myself, but the audacity SBO page at
> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/audio/audacity/ states that jack
> is an autodetected dependency when building audacity.
>
> Did you install the jack package before installing audacity? If not, you
> probably built yourself an audacity without support of jack.
>
> regards Henrik

I don't remember, but on my laptop I reinstalled jack and then
reinstalled audacity and that did not make any difference

Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Aware

<FNOdnfHzW5JMmqT_nZ2dnUU7-bOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1076&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1076

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 19:18:41 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 23:18 UTC

On 3/21/22 09:22, Edwin Johnson wrote:
> On 2022-03-21, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:19:04 -0400, bad sector wrote:
>>> I had installed Audacity either with slpkg or sbopkg, I've read some
>>> stories about having to "build audacity against jack".
>>> What is this, does the standard source not include it? How would I fix
>>> the issue?
>>
>> I haven't tried it myself, but the audacity SBO page at
>> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/audio/audacity/ states that jack
>> is an autodetected dependency when building audacity.
>>
>> Did you install the jack package before installing audacity? If not, you
>> probably built yourself an audacity without support of jack.
>
> Another solution is to download Alian Bob's package and support files
> from his site: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/
>
> ----------
> Part of my notes from this install:
>
> So first install the jack2 libraries/files and then the vamp libraries
> and files and then the actual modified audacity. Install with:
>
> upgradepkg --install-new pkgname
>
> Following are the three files:
>
> jack2-1.9.20-x86_64-1alien.txz
> vamp-plugin-sdk-2.8.0-sdk_64-2alien.tgz
> audacity-3.0.2-x86_64-2alien.txz
> ----------
>
> This works fine and I've also installed his 32-bit package on an older
> laptop and all work fine. Hope you have as much success as I did.
> Notice that the 'jack2' is the package you need, even though there is
> a 'jack' (no 2). These are already built but install them per his
> instructions using the 'upgradepkg --install-new pkgname' as above.
>
> ...Edwin

That one did work, thank you. Got it installed on both machines.
I wonder if I should have used "install-new" when retrying the
stock packages in th eproper order. Anyway, for now I'm very happy.

Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Aware

<t1bsab$6cg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1079&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1079

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 07:02:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 07:02 UTC

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:01:03 -0400, bad sector wrote:

> On 3/21/22 02:35, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:19:04 -0400, bad sector wrote:
>>> I had installed Audacity either with slpkg or sbopkg, I've read some
>>> stories about having to "build audacity against jack".
>>> What is this, does the standard source not include it? How would I
>>> fix the issue?
>>
>> I haven't tried it myself, but the audacity SBO page at
>> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/audio/audacity/ states that
>> jack is an autodetected dependency when building audacity.
>>
>> Did you install the jack package before installing audacity? If not,
>> you probably built yourself an audacity without support of jack.
>>
>> regards Henrik
>
> I don't remember, but on my laptop I reinstalled jack and then
> reinstalled audacity and that did not make any difference

When "reinstalling", did you just use the same slackware package again
that you built before? To get jack support you will probably need to
build the Slackware audacity package after jack has been installed.

regards Henrik

Re: 15.0 Audacity, Not Jack-Aware

<_oudnZc4a4lwJaT_nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1081&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1081

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 07:54:17 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 11:54 UTC

On 3/22/22 03:02, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:01:03 -0400, bad sector wrote:

>>> I haven't tried it myself, but the audacity SBO page at
>>> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/audio/audacity/ states that
>>> jack is an autodetected dependency when building audacity.
>>>
>>> Did you install the jack package before installing audacity? If not,
>>> you probably built yourself an audacity without support of jack.
>>>
>>> regards Henrik
>>
>> I don't remember, but on my laptop I reinstalled jack and then
>> reinstalled audacity and that did not make any difference
>
> When "reinstalling", did you just use the same slackware package again
> that you built before? To get jack support you will probably need to
> build the Slackware audacity package after jack has been installed.
>
> regards Henrik

I used either slpkg or sbopkg each time initially, not necessarily the
same, and repeated that process when re-installing (but that time with
jack up front and then audacity) using the same packages, not sure but I
think that both slpkg and sbopkg compile each time. Alien-Bob saved my
butt and I'm sure he's an avid Slackware fan but I'd rather stick to the
beaten path ESPECIALLY given my remarkably high level of ignorance. For
now I'll leave Audacity it as is, there remaining a few more apps to
render just operative one way or another.