Memory fault -- core...uh...um...core... Oh dammit, I forget!

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: Slackware 15.0 data point

SubjectAuthor
* Slackware 15.0 data pointJoe Rosevear
+* Re: Slackware 15.0 data pointJoe Rosevear
|`* Re: Slackware 15.0 data pointJohn Forkosh
| `- Re: Slackware 15.0 data pointJoe Rosevear
`* Re: Slackware 15.0 data pointHenrik Carlqvist
 +* Re: Slackware 15.0 data pointJoe Rosevear
 |`* Re: Slackware 15.0 data pointHenrik Carlqvist
 | `- Re: Slackware 15.0 data pointJoe Rosevear
 `- Re: Slackware 15.0 data pointJoe Rosevear

1
Slackware 15.0 data point

<t15d52$6li$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1063&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1063

From: Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid (Joe Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Slackware 15.0 data point
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:06:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Rosevear - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:06 UTC

Hello, Slackers!

Just for fun, I made (several years ago) a graph using the Slackware
release history data I found on Wikipedia. And today I finally got
around to putting on it the new data point for Slackware 15.0. It fits
the curve perfectly!

-Joe

--
https://JoesLife.org

Re: Slackware 15.0 data point

<t167ck$2pt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1064&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1064

From: Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid (Joe Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Slackware 15.0 data point
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 03:34:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Rosevear - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 03:34 UTC

Joe Rosevear <Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid> wrote:
> Hello, Slackers!
>
> Just for fun, I made (several years ago) a graph using the Slackware
> release history data I found on Wikipedia. And today I finally got
> around to putting on it the new data point for Slackware 15.0. It fits
> the curve perfectly!
>
> -Joe

Here's the link:

https://joeslife.org/projects/slack_stuff/graph

--
https://JoesLife.org

Re: Slackware 15.0 data point

<t16m89$moe$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1065&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1065

From: forkosh@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 07:48:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 07:48 UTC

Joe Rosevear <Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid> wrote:
> Joe Rosevear <Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid> wrote:
>> Just for fun, I made (several years ago) a graph using the Slackware
>> release history data I found on Wikipedia. And today I finally got
>> around to putting on it the new data point for Slackware 15.0.
>> It fits the curve perfectly! -Joe
>
> Here's the link:
> https://joeslife.org/projects/slack_stuff/graph

So when does 15.1 fall on that curve?
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: Slackware 15.0 data point

<t16vfm$hui$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1066&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1066

From: Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid (Joe Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 10:25:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Rosevear - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 10:25 UTC

John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:

[snip]

> So when does 15.1 fall on that curve?

I get August, 24, 2039. Here is a link to an extrapolated curve:

https://joeslife.org/projects/slack_stuff/extrap

--
https://JoesLife.org

Re: Slackware 15.0 data point

<t175rv$hif$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1067&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1067

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:14:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:14 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:06:58 +0000, Joe Rosevear wrote:
> Just for fun, I made (several years ago) a graph using the Slackware
> release history data I found on Wikipedia.

Nice graph! I really hope that 15.1 will come earlier than your estimate
as a smaller update than 15.0 which did contain some major changes.

Just a small hint for better image quality:

If you are putting your graph in a document like a .pdf-file, the graph
will be rendered with better resulution if you use some vector format
instead of a raster format.

So using gnuplot to save the graph as some vector format like .svg
or .eps and then convert it to .pdf will look slightly better, especially
if you are going to print the graph on paper.

Here is an URL describing how to use postscript to get a nice
vectorized .pdf from gnuplot:
https://staff.itee.uq.edu.au/ksb/howto/gnuplot-pdf-howto.html
However, at least on my Slackware 14.2 system, when setting terminal to
pdf in gnuplot I also get a vectorized plot which seems just as good.

The vectorized plots will not only look better, they will probably also
give smaller file sizes.

regards Henrik

Re: Slackware 15.0 data point

<t19hou$16ou$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1072&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1072

From: Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid (Joe Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:50:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Rosevear - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:50 UTC

Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:06:58 +0000, Joe Rosevear wrote:
>> Just for fun, I made (several years ago) a graph using the Slackware
>> release history data I found on Wikipedia.
>
> Nice graph! I really hope that 15.1 will come earlier than your estimate
> as a smaller update than 15.0 which did contain some major changes.
>
> Just a small hint for better image quality:
>
> If you are putting your graph in a document like a .pdf-file, the graph
> will be rendered with better resulution if you use some vector format
> instead of a raster format.
>
> So using gnuplot to save the graph as some vector format like .svg
> or .eps and then convert it to .pdf will look slightly better, especially
> if you are going to print the graph on paper.
>
> Here is an URL describing how to use postscript to get a nice
> vectorized .pdf from gnuplot:
> https://staff.itee.uq.edu.au/ksb/howto/gnuplot-pdf-howto.html
> However, at least on my Slackware 14.2 system, when setting terminal to
> pdf in gnuplot I also get a vectorized plot which seems just as good.
>
> The vectorized plots will not only look better, they will probably also
> give smaller file sizes.
>
> regards Henrik

Thank you Henrik!

I skipped the .pdf files altogether as that saved me a step, but you
are correct. A pdf made (with the convert commnand) from a vector
image looks better. It seems the .eps files were not vector images?
I'll file that tip where I can find it again.

Also I did not know how to use "set terminal svg" until your prompting
lead me to do a little searching. Thanks.

I updated my webpages to use the.svg files:

https://joeslife.org/projects/slack_stuff/graph
https://joeslife.org/projects/slack_stuff/extrap

The University of Queensland link looks interesting. Thank you.

-Joe

--
http://JoesLife.org

Re: Slackware 15.0 data point

<t1bs45$6cg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1078&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1078

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 06:59:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 06:59 UTC

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:50:22 +0000, Joe Rosevear wrote:
> It seems the .eps files were not vector images?

..eps can contain vector images and at least on my Slackware 14.2 system
they will when generated from gnuplot. However, those generated .eps
files also contain a rastered preview image (if I remember right that
embedded preview image is in a .tiff format).

So when looking at an .eps graph generated with gnuplot using gv the
graph will look vectorized, but looking at the same file with xv the
graph will look rasterized.

> I updated my webpages to use the.svg files:
>
> https://joeslife.org/projects/slack_stuff/graph
> https://joeslife.org/projects/slack_stuff/extrap

Nice! I wasn't even aware that it was possible to use .svg files in img
tags.

regards Henrik

Re: Slackware 15.0 data point

<t1dl51$1dck$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1083&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1083

From: Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid (Joe Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 23:12:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Rosevear - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 23:12 UTC

Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:50:22 +0000, Joe Rosevear wrote:
>> It seems the .eps files were not vector images?
>
> .eps can contain vector images and at least on my Slackware 14.2 system
> they will when generated from gnuplot. However, those generated .eps
> files also contain a rastered preview image (if I remember right that
> embedded preview image is in a .tiff format).
>
> So when looking at an .eps graph generated with gnuplot using gv the
> graph will look vectorized, but looking at the same file with xv the
> graph will look rasterized.

I confirmed what you said by searching on line and by viewing the .eps
file in gv and xv. I also played with epstopdf and pdfcrop (which were
suggested in the University of Queensland link). I have to say that
the complexity of gnuplot makes experimentation difficult.
>> I updated my webpages to use the.svg files:
>>
>> https://joeslife.org/projects/slack_stuff/graph
>> https://joeslife.org/projects/slack_stuff/extrap
>
> Nice! I wasn't even aware that it was possible to use .svg files in img
> tags.

Yes, I got lucky. Not only does the output look good and work in html,
but the gnuplot instruction file was simple. It was your prompting
that helped me to find this. Again, thanks!

-Joe

--
https://JoesLife.org

Re: Slackware 15.0 data point

<t1dn7h$2hk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1084&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1084

From: Joe_Rosevear@localhost.invalid (Joe Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 23:48:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Rosevear - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 23:48 UTC

Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:06:58 +0000, Joe Rosevear wrote:
>> Just for fun, I made (several years ago) a graph using the Slackware
>> release history data I found on Wikipedia.
>
> Nice graph! I really hope that 15.1 will come earlier than your estimate
> as a smaller update than 15.0 which did contain some major changes.

I hope so also. I tried to make a fair prediction based on what looked
like a reasonable extrapolation of the curve--all bias aside.

> Just a small hint for better image quality:
>
> If you are putting your graph in a document like a .pdf-file, the graph
> will be rendered with better resulution if you use some vector format
> instead of a raster format.
>
> So using gnuplot to save the graph as some vector format like .svg
> or .eps and then convert it to .pdf will look slightly better, especially
> if you are going to print the graph on paper.
>
> Here is an URL describing how to use postscript to get a nice
> vectorized .pdf from gnuplot:
> https://staff.itee.uq.edu.au/ksb/howto/gnuplot-pdf-howto.html

Thanks for the link. I put it and some other links about gnuplot in
this page of links (the sections are alphabetized--gnuplot is half way
down):

https://joeslife.org/links/computing

-Joe

--