"What the scientists have in their briefcases is terrifying." -- Nikita Khrushchev

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: DVD not being detected mystery

SubjectAuthor
* DVD not being detected mysteryClark Smith
+- Re: DVD not being detected mysteryAlexander Grotewohl
+- Re: DVD not being detected mysteryJimmy Johnson
+- Re: DVD not being detected mysteryHenrik Carlqvist
+* Re: DVD not being detected mysteryLew Pitcher
|`- Re: DVD not being detected mysteryRinaldi
`* Re: DVD not being detected mysteryClark Smith
 `* Re: DVD not being detected mysteryHenrik Carlqvist
  `* Re: DVD not being detected mysteryClark Smith
   `* Re: DVD not being detected mysteryHenrik Carlqvist
    `* Re: DVD not being detected mysteryClark Smith
     `- Re: DVD not being detected mysteryroot

1
DVD not being detected mystery

<suqvt1$1mf9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1006&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1006

From: noaddress@nowhere.net (Clark Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: DVD not being detected mystery
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:46:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clark Smith - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:46 UTC

I have several 14.2 systems, and none of them seems to be able to
detect DVDs. That is, when I insert a DVD in the DVD unit, I can see
nothng whatsoever in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, or dmesg in
those systems.

The thing is, I have another system running Debian, which can
detect the DVD without any problems. This is not happening with a
particular DVD alone - I have tried with several, and the outcome is
always the same: my 14.2 systems can't detect them, whereas the Debian
one can't.

I am reasonably certain that it is not the case that all those
DVD units are broken - I can certainly see the light turning on in them
when I insert the DVD, and I can hear the DVD spinning. Which makes me
think it must something to do with the way in which my 14.2 systems are
configured.

I am using 14.2 with all the patches applied, and I am not aware
of any configuration specifics to prevent the DVD unit from working. Do
you guys have any suggestions how to try and diagnose (and fix) this
problem? I have the feeling that I must be missing something obvious
here, but I am at a loss.

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<sus1ss$aq0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1007&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1007

From: alexm0n@gmail.com (Alexander Grotewohl)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: DVD not being detected mystery
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 00:27:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alexander Grotewohl - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 00:27 UTC

On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:46:57 -0000 (UTC), Clark Smith wrote:

> I have several 14.2 systems, and none of them seems to be able to detect
> DVDs. That is, when I insert a DVD in the DVD unit, I can see nothng
> whatsoever in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, or dmesg in those
> systems.
>
> The thing is, I have another system running Debian, which can
> detect the DVD without any problems. This is not happening with a
> particular DVD alone - I have tried with several, and the outcome is
> always the same: my 14.2 systems can't detect them, whereas the Debian
> one can't.
>
> I am reasonably certain that it is not the case that all those
> DVD units are broken - I can certainly see the light turning on in them
> when I insert the DVD, and I can hear the DVD spinning. Which makes me
> think it must something to do with the way in which my 14.2 systems are
> configured.
>
> I am using 14.2 with all the patches applied, and I am not aware
> of any configuration specifics to prevent the DVD unit from working. Do
> you guys have any suggestions how to try and diagnose (and fix) this
> problem? I have the feeling that I must be missing something obvious
> here, but I am at a loss.

Have you tried manually mounting the DVDs ?

I know at least for me when I was using KDE and Dolphin, some of that
stuff was automated / "Just Worked" .. but perhaps that has been broken?

Is your use a part of the group allowed access to the DVD drive (i.e. not
as root) ?

That's all I can think of for now..

Alex

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<sus6e6$1oui$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1008&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1008

From: jimmy@none.none (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 17:44:40 -0800
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 01:44 UTC

On 02/19/2022 06:46 AM, Clark Smith wrote:
> I have several 14.2 systems, and none of them seems to be able to
> detect DVDs. That is, when I insert a DVD in the DVD unit, I can see
> nothng whatsoever in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, or dmesg in
> those systems.

From https://www.slackbook.org/html/filesystem-structure-mounting.html
/dev/dvd /mnt/dvd iso9660 ro 0 0
I use 'k3b' to mount and umount cd's and dvd's and don't need fstab for
that, but you may need to add a entry for those drives.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Alien Linux - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<sut7fa$v4a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1009&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1009

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:08:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:08 UTC

On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:46:57 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:

> I have several 14.2 systems, and none of them seems to be able to detect
> DVDs. That is, when I insert a DVD in the DVD unit, I can see nothng
> whatsoever in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, or dmesg in those
> systems.

> Do you guys have any suggestions how to try and diagnose (and fix) this
> problem?

I would start to check if the system is aware that it has a DVD reader.
In the output from dmesg, you should see the DVD reader being detected at
boot. If it was a long time since last reboot, those old line might be
lost from the dmesg command but can still be found in /var/log/dmesg. You
should find lines looking something like this:

[ 3.432517] scsi 0:0:0:0: CD-ROM ASUS BW-16D1HT
3.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[ 3.457515] sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram
cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[ 3.457686] cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[ 3.457818] sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

Another way to see if your system is aware of your DVD reader is to study
the content of /proc/scsi/scsi , on my system it looks like this:

cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ASUS Model: BW-16D1HT Rev: 3.00
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ATA Model: ST1000DM010-2EP1 Rev: CC43

If your system is aware of your DVD reader I would double check that the
DVDs you insert are really supported. Maybe your are trying to put a DVD
disc in a CDROM reader? Maybe your DVD discs are dual layer and your
drive only supports single layer? Maybe you are putting a DVD+R disc in a
reader which only supports DVD-R?

If your system does not know anything about your DVD reader I would check
that the SATA cable is connected between the DVD reader and the
motherboard. I would also reboot to enter CMOS setup to check that your
motherboard is aware of the DVD reader and that the SATA channel hasn't
been disabled in CMOS setup.

I also have several 14.2 systems and they are all able to detect CDROM,
DVD and some of them BluRay. Depending on configuration the users will
also be able to mount such discs, usually the machines have the following
line in /etc/fstab:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user,ro,comment=x-gvfs-show 0 0

However, even without users being able to mount the discs you should be
able to se information about the disc in the output from the command
dmesg. Did you configure your own custom kernel? To be able to use CDROM
and DVD you will need CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR.

regards Henrik

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<suumep$9e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1010&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1010

From: lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca (Lew Pitcher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 00:30:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lew Pitcher - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 00:30 UTC

On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:46:57 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:

> I have several 14.2 systems, and none of them seems to be able to detect
> DVDs. That is, when I insert a DVD in the DVD unit, I can see nothng
> whatsoever in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, or dmesg in those
> systems.
[snip]
> I am using 14.2 with all the patches applied, and I am not aware
> of any configuration specifics to prevent the DVD unit from working. Do
> you guys have any suggestions how to try and diagnose (and fix) this
> problem? I have the feeling that I must be missing something obvious
> here, but I am at a loss.

I believe that the userland mechanics of cdrom autodetect are handled by
udev. Are you running udevd on your Slackware 14.2 systems?

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<8f3420ec-640c-fb06-c740-76b2f55de495@invalid.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1011&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1011

From: rm@nunya.inv (Rinaldi)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:45:37 -0600
 by: Rinaldi - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 02:45 UTC

On 2/20/22 18:30, Lew Pitcher wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:46:57 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:
>
>> I have several 14.2 systems, and none of them seems to be able to detect
>> DVDs. That is, when I insert a DVD in the DVD unit, I can see nothng
>> whatsoever in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, or dmesg in those
>> systems.
> [snip]
>> I am using 14.2 with all the patches applied, and I am not aware
>> of any configuration specifics to prevent the DVD unit from working. Do
>> you guys have any suggestions how to try and diagnose (and fix) this
>> problem? I have the feeling that I must be missing something obvious
>> here, but I am at a loss.
>
> I believe that the userland mechanics of cdrom autodetect are handled by
> udev. Are you running udevd on your Slackware 14.2 systems?

I remember in years gone by having to "modprobe sg" to get DVD recognized.

Rinaldi
--
Critic, n.:
A person who boasts himself hard to please because nobody tries

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<sv0h9o$19pf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1012&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1012

From: noaddress@nowhere.net (Clark Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 17:14:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clark Smith - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 17:14 UTC

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Two 14.2 systems are
definitely affected, and I don't know why. The DVD device is correctly
detected in both. However, when I insert a DVD neither system is able to
detect it: when I try to mount it, in both cases I get a diagnostic to
the effect that no media is found.

Since, contrary to what I thought, other 14.2 systems do not have
any problems with the DVDs I was trying to read, I am guessing that
something must be borked in the DVD units in those two systems.

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<sv20hn$3qt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1013&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1013

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 06:40:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 06:40 UTC

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 17:14:32 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:

> Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Two 14.2 systems are definitely
> affected, and I don't know why. The DVD device is correctly detected in
> both. However, when I insert a DVD neither system is able to detect it:
> when I try to mount it, in both cases I get a diagnostic to the effect
> that no media is found.
>
> Since, contrary to what I thought, other 14.2 systems do not have
> any problems with the DVDs I was trying to read, I am guessing that
> something must be borked in the DVD units in those two systems.

What about CDROM? Are you able to read such discs?

regards Henrik

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<sv3hi9$15i8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1016&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1016

From: noaddress@nowhere.net (Clark Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 20:37:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clark Smith - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 20:37 UTC

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 06:40:56 +0000, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 17:14:32 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:
>
>> Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Two 14.2 systems are definitely
>> affected, and I don't know why. The DVD device is correctly detected in
>> both. However, when I insert a DVD neither system is able to detect it:
>> when I try to mount it, in both cases I get a diagnostic to the effect
>> that no media is found.
>>
>> Since, contrary to what I thought, other 14.2 systems do not have
>> any problems with the DVDs I was trying to read, I am guessing that
>> something must be borked in the DVD units in those two systems.
>
> What about CDROM? Are you able to read such discs?

I had to do some digging around, for I got rid of most of my
CDROMs long ago. Anyway, I did find a few, and I can indeed mount them
without any problems using the troublesome DVD units. Notice that those
devices are DVD RW devices. It is still the case that they can't
recognize the medium when insert a DVD in them.

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<sv4jlg$ckl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1017&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1017

From: Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 06:19:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 06:19 UTC

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 20:37:29 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:
> Notice that those devices are DVD RW devices. It is still the case that
> they can't recognize the medium when insert a DVD in them.

Could it be that they are old DVD-RW devices and you try to insert DVD+R
or DVD+RW discs? Have you tried any DVD-R disc?

regards Henrik

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<sv60oo$1ccu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1020&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1020

From: noaddress@nowhere.net (Clark Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 19:09:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clark Smith - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 19:09 UTC

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 06:19:28 +0000, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 20:37:29 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:
>> Notice that those devices are DVD RW devices. It is still the case that
>> they can't recognize the medium when insert a DVD in them.
>
> Could it be that they are old DVD-RW devices and you try to insert DVD+R
> or DVD+RW discs? Have you tried any DVD-R disc?

I'll try to find a DVD-R, if I still have any. The thing is,
those two systems just refuse to recognize even commercial DVDs with pre-
recorded video material - movie DVDs.

Other than this, I used the inxi -Fxd command to obtain
information about the drives, and here's what I am getting in the
offending 14.2 systems:

Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: TSSTcorp model: CDDVDW SH-S223L rev: SB03
dev-links: cdr,cdr0,cdrom,cdrom0,cdrw,cdrw0,dvd,dvd0,dvdr,dvdr0,
dvdrw,dvdrw0,dvdwriter,dvdwriter0
Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running

Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: hp model: CDDVDW SH-216BB rev: HE30
dev-links: cdr,cdr0,cdrom,cdrom0,cdrw,cdrw0,dvd,dvd0,dvdr,dvdr0,dvdrw,
dvdrw0,dvdwriter,dvdwriter0
Features: speed: 40 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running

And here is the matching output for a 14.2 system that has no
problems with DVDs:

Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: SONY model: DVD RW DW-D26A rev: JYS2
dev-links: cdr,cdr0,cdrom,cdrom0,cdrw,cdrw0,dvd,dvd0,dvdr,dvdr0,
dvdrw,dvdrw0,dvdwriter,dvdwriter0
Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r state: running

Re: DVD not being detected mystery

<sv6n5p$tel$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1021&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1021

From: NoEMail@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 01:31:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 01:31 UTC

Clark Smith <noaddress@nowhere.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 06:19:28 +0000, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
>

> Other than this, I used the inxi -Fxd command to obtain
> information about the drives, and here's what I am getting in the
> offending 14.2 systems:
>
> Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: TSSTcorp model: CDDVDW SH-S223L rev: SB03
> dev-links: cdr,cdr0,cdrom,cdrom0,cdrw,cdrw0,dvd,dvd0,dvdr,dvdr0,
> dvdrw,dvdrw0,dvdwriter,dvdwriter0
> Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
> rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
>
> Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: hp model: CDDVDW SH-216BB rev: HE30
> dev-links: cdr,cdr0,cdrom,cdrom0,cdrw,cdrw0,dvd,dvd0,dvdr,dvdr0,dvdrw,
> dvdrw0,dvdwriter,dvdwriter0
> Features: speed: 40 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
> rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
>
> And here is the matching output for a 14.2 system that has no
> problems with DVDs:
>
> Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: SONY model: DVD RW DW-D26A rev: JYS2
> dev-links: cdr,cdr0,cdrom,cdrom0,cdrw,cdrw0,dvd,dvd0,dvdr,dvdr0,
> dvdrw,dvdrw0,dvdwriter,dvdwriter0
> Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
> rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r state: running

Try switching the drive between the machines. If the problem sticks
with the drives replace the failed drive.