Lawrence Radiation Laboratory keeps all its data in an old gray trunk.

computers / comp.sys.tandy / Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issue

SubjectAuthor
* Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issuepharaoh46
`* Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issueBob Campbell
 `* Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issuepharaoh46
  +- Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issueBill Gunshannon
  `* Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issueBill Gunshannon
   `- Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issuepharaoh46

1
Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issue

<706b78e6-0b6b-4695-aca7-b47c4e49d3a8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5&group=comp.sys.tandy#5

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 09:16:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issue
From: pharaoh46@optonline.net (pharaoh46)
 by: pharaoh46 - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 16:16 UTC

Hi all,
I've got a TRS-80 Model 1 48K w/EI and floppy drive hooked up to a DMP through a printer switch (I share the printer w/a Model 4).

Anyway, when I power up, the standard character gibberish displays, but the characters themselves are distorted (for example, the letters don't look like letters, same w/numbers, etc.). I press the reset button and Break repeatedly, but the Memory Size? prompt doesn't display. I've tried cleaning all the contacts and plugs on the keyboard, expansion interface, and drive. No success. I also looked at the plug connecting the keyboard's power supply to the keyboard, and the cable going into the plug appears frayed & loose. Could this be the issue, or is it something else? Appreciate any input/guidance. Thanks in advance.
--John

Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issue

<29-dnYtsN4sqySX9nZ2dnUU7-UfNnZ2d@supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6&group=comp.sys.tandy#6

Subject: Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issue
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
From: none@none.none (Bob Campbell)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 00:04:06 -0400
 by: Bob Campbell - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 04:04 UTC

On 6/2/21 12:16 PM, pharaoh46 wrote:

> Anyway, when I power up, the standard character gibberish displays, but the characters themselves are distorted (for example, the letters don't look like letters, same w/numbers, etc.). I press the reset button and Break repeatedly, but the Memory Size? prompt doesn't display. I've tried cleaning all the contacts and plugs on the keyboard, expansion interface, and drive. No success. I also looked at the plug connecting the keyboard's power supply to the keyboard, and the cable going into the plug appears frayed & loose. Could this be the issue, or is it something else? Appreciate any input/guidance. Thanks in advance.

With a 43 year old POS like the TRS-80 Model 1 is/was, it could be
literally anything.

I would disconnect everything and then power up the KB alone. Since
you have the EI, it has the same power supply as the KB. Swap those and
see if that fixes it.

Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issue

<bb4808f6-3025-4b74-ac5f-ebf85229a9d0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7&group=comp.sys.tandy#7

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 22:35:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: pharaoh46@optonline.net (pharaoh46)
 by: pharaoh46 - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 05:35 UTC

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:04:13 AM UTC-4, Bob Campbell wrote:
> On 6/2/21 12:16 PM, pharaoh46 wrote:
>
> > Anyway, when I power up, the standard character gibberish displays, but the characters themselves are distorted (for example, the letters don't look like letters, same w/numbers, etc.). I press the reset button and Break repeatedly, but the Memory Size? prompt doesn't display. I've tried cleaning all the contacts and plugs on the keyboard, expansion interface, and drive. No success. I also looked at the plug connecting the keyboard's power supply to the keyboard, and the cable going into the plug appears frayed & loose. Could this be the issue, or is it something else? Appreciate any input/guidance. Thanks in advance.
> With a 43 year old POS like the TRS-80 Model 1 is/was, it could be
> literally anything.
>
> I would disconnect everything and then power up the KB alone. Since
> you have the EI, it has the same power supply as the KB. Swap those and
> see if that fixes it.

Yeah, I was thinking the power supply since it even after I press the reset button, nothing happens. I'll try that and see what happens. If it's a power supply, I'll order a new one on eBay or something. Thanks.

Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issue

<iijmjnFnl4jU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8&group=comp.sys.tandy#8

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:11:34 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 12:11 UTC

On 6/12/21 1:35 AM, pharaoh46 wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:04:13 AM UTC-4, Bob Campbell wrote:
>> On 6/2/21 12:16 PM, pharaoh46 wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, when I power up, the standard character gibberish displays, but the characters themselves are distorted (for example, the letters don't look like letters, same w/numbers, etc.). I press the reset button and Break repeatedly, but the Memory Size? prompt doesn't display. I've tried cleaning all the contacts and plugs on the keyboard, expansion interface, and drive. No success. I also looked at the plug connecting the keyboard's power supply to the keyboard, and the cable going into the plug appears frayed & loose. Could this be the issue, or is it something else? Appreciate any input/guidance. Thanks in advance.
>> With a 43 year old POS like the TRS-80 Model 1 is/was, it could be
>> literally anything.
>>
>> I would disconnect everything and then power up the KB alone. Since
>> you have the EI, it has the same power supply as the KB. Swap those and
>> see if that fixes it.
>
> Yeah, I was thinking the power supply since it even after I press the reset button, nothing happens. I'll try that and see what happens. If it's a power supply, I'll order a new one on eBay or something. Thanks.

Unless you are obsessed with visual purity you can easily replace the
power supply with something more reliable. According to the Technical
Reference Manual it runs on +5/+12/-5 volts. Pretty standard and easy
to cobble together if you didn't want to buy one.

bill

Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issue

<iijnojFnsq4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9&group=comp.sys.tandy#9

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:31:14 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 12:31 UTC

On 6/12/21 1:35 AM, pharaoh46 wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:04:13 AM UTC-4, Bob Campbell wrote:
>> On 6/2/21 12:16 PM, pharaoh46 wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, when I power up, the standard character gibberish displays, but the characters themselves are distorted (for example, the letters don't look like letters, same w/numbers, etc.). I press the reset button and Break repeatedly, but the Memory Size? prompt doesn't display. I've tried cleaning all the contacts and plugs on the keyboard, expansion interface, and drive. No success. I also looked at the plug connecting the keyboard's power supply to the keyboard, and the cable going into the plug appears frayed & loose. Could this be the issue, or is it something else? Appreciate any input/guidance. Thanks in advance.
>> With a 43 year old POS like the TRS-80 Model 1 is/was, it could be
>> literally anything.
>>
>> I would disconnect everything and then power up the KB alone. Since
>> you have the EI, it has the same power supply as the KB. Swap those and
>> see if that fixes it.
>
> Yeah, I was thinking the power supply since it even after I press the reset button, nothing happens. I'll try that and see what happens. If it's a power supply, I'll order a new one on eBay or something. Thanks.

Being someone who actually still has Model 1's that they use,
this brings up an interesting question. How common is power
supply failure? Being as both the base unit and the E/I run
off of the same class of power supply would it make sense
replace them with something like a PC Class power supply?
And whilw we are at it, if you were using something better,
could the base unit and E/I be run from the same power supply?

bill

Re: Model 1 possible power supply/keyboard issue

<540492dd-a2a4-4c17-b083-892ddd0e4577n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10&group=comp.sys.tandy#10

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 09:45:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: pharaoh46@optonline.net (pharaoh46)
 by: pharaoh46 - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 16:45 UTC

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 8:31:16 AM UTC-4, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> On 6/12/21 1:35 AM, pharaoh46 wrote:

> >> With a 43 year old POS like the TRS-80 Model 1 is/was, it could be
> >> literally anything.
> >>
> >> I would disconnect everything and then power up the KB alone. Since
> >> you have the EI, it has the same power supply as the KB. Swap those and
> >> see if that fixes it.
> >
> > Yeah, I was thinking the power supply since it even after I press the reset button, nothing happens. I'll try that and see what happens. If it's a power supply, I'll order a new one on eBay or something. Thanks.
> >
> Being someone who actually still has Model 1's that they use,
> this brings up an interesting question. How common is power
> supply failure? Being as both the base unit and the E/I run
> off of the same class of power supply would it make sense
> replace them with something like a PC Class power supply?
> And whilw we are at it, if you were using something better,
> could the base unit and E/I be run from the same power supply?
>
> bill
Thanks everyone for your input. I just tried the E/I power supply w/the keyboard. Nothing. Still the same gibberish on screen, and when I press Reset and Break repeatedly, still nothing happens. At this point I'm guessing the keyboard is hosed.