The world is coming to an end--save your buffers!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

SubjectAuthor
* Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Robin Goodfellow
+* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofAndy Burns
|`* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Robin Goodfellow
| `* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofAndy Burns
|  +* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Robin Goodfellow
|  |+- Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Robin Goodfellow
|  |`* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofAndy Burns
|  | `* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Robin Goodfellow
|  |  +- Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Robin Goodfellow
|  |  `* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofAndy Burns
|  |   `* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Robin Goodfellow
|  |    `* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofAndy Burns
|  |     `- Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofsms
|   `- Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Robin Goodfellow
`* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofsms
 +* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Robin Goodfellow
 |`* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofsms
 | +- Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Robin Goodfellow
 | `- Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)Frank Slootweg
 `* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofLewis
  `* Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)knuttle
   `- Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and ofLewis

1
Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgkn62$rd7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23271&group=comp.mobile.android#23271

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 07:53:39 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 07:53 UTC

Google new ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6).
https://thenextweb.com/news/the-pixel-5a-has-a-headphone-jack

They parody the ridiculously childish way Jony Ive suckers Apple customers.
But they don't talk about the Pixel 6 _also_ copying Apple's cripple tricks.

They cripple it so that you are forced to buy the lost functionality back.
But at least, with the Pixel, you have the choice of the cripple or not.
--
Apple marketing isn't stupid so copying them is often a big money maker.
The losers are those who fall for it by contributing to their profits.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<ip68vpFtjuuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23279&group=comp.mobile.android#23279

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of
the Pixel 6)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 09:53:12 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 08:53 UTC

Robin Goodfellow wrote:

> Google new ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6).
> https://thenextweb.com/news/the-pixel-5a-has-a-headphone-jack

My pixel3 is nearing EOL, the pixel6 with 5 year updates would be nice
except for a) that humongous camera bulge and b) I suspect a matching price

The pixel 5a would do me fine, except they've stuck two fingers up to
the UK, I'm not going to buy a pixel 4a 5G and get only 2 years support
unless they seriously discount it, so well done google, aimed square at
your own feet ...

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sglr2i$tpt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23322&group=comp.mobile.android#23322

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:06:10 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:06 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> asked
> My pixel3 is nearing EOL, the pixel6 with 5 year updates would be nice
> except for a) that humongous camera bulge and b) I suspect a matching price

Agreed that the pixel 6 pricing and lack of basic standard hardware seems to
be a carbon copy of iPhone pricing and lack of basic standard hardware.

The marketing is smart where they remove stuff so you have to buy it back.

These tricks work well to increase profit levels where Google & Samsung can
afford a phone in their lineup each year copying Apple money-making ploys.

Luckily, with Google & Samsung, most of their phones each year do NOT follow
Apple's sleazy money-making tricks, so at least you have the choice (as
advertised in the Jony Ive hilariously overdone ad in the cited article).

Did you catch the last line if the video mocking Apple's crippled iPhone?
> The pixel 5a would do me fine, except they've stuck two fingers up to
> the UK, I'm not going to buy a pixel 4a 5G and get only 2 years support
> unless they seriously discount it, so well done google, aimed square at
> your own feet ...

I'm surprised an intelligent person like you is so scared of what you refer
to as only two years of support. Do you mean warranty or OS support?

For OS support, almost all of Android is updated asynchronously nowadays.
The carrier isn't even involved anymore as it's done by Google over GP.

Look up "Project Treble" and "Project Mainline" for an explanation of how
well it's working out (updates are constant, and essentially forever).

It's up to something like 80% of Android is updated, essentially forever,
given that there is no EOL date for the modules provided over Google Play.

All of them are open sourced in addition, which extends that "forever" too.
Even 8 year old Android phones are being updated constantly this way.
Even the Qualcomm hardware has the firmware drivers updated over GP now.

Given it's nothing like it used to be, and given nobody intelligent is
filled with fear like the Apple owners are, I'm surprised you're scared.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<ip7deuF6186U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23336&group=comp.mobile.android#23336

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
the Pixel 6)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:15:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 19:15 UTC

Robin Goodfellow wrote:

> I'm surprised an intelligent person like you is so scared of what you refer
> to as only two years of support.

There was no point me buying a 5G phone last year, as 5G coverage was
barely available, if I buy a one year old phone now, I won't get 3 years
of updates for it, only two, but it won't cost 2/3 the price.

> Do you mean warranty or OS support?

I mean the monthly pixel firmware updates (kernel, SoC, baseband) that
you don't get through Play, and the annual major version upgrades that
google currently do for 3 years like clockwork, and it sounds like will
be 5 years for the Pixel6 where they are more in control with 'Tensor'.

> For OS support, almost all of Android is updated asynchronously nowadays.
> The carrier isn't even involved anymore as it's done by Google over GP.

apps (including those that previously weren't separated out from the
base O/S) and various play libraries, but not firmware.

> Look up "Project Treble" and "Project Mainline" for an explanation of how
> well it's working out (updates are constant, and essentially forever).

Of course I know about them, but it's not the device level stuff.

> It's up to something like 80% of Android is updated, essentially forever,
> given that there is no EOL date for the modules provided over Google Play.
>
> All of them are open sourced in addition, which extends that "forever" too.
> Even 8 year old Android phones are being updated constantly this way.
> Even the Qualcomm hardware has the firmware drivers updated over GP now.

I've never seen those via Play, either they're hidden, or not needed
because Nexus/Pixel devices get them by a different mechanism?

> Given it's nothing like it used to be, and given nobody intelligent is
> filled with fear like the Apple owners are, I'm surprised you're scared.

I'm not scared, but I want a supported device.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgm31q$cak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23346&group=comp.mobile.android#23346

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
the Pixel 6)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:22:17 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:22 UTC

On 8/31/2021 12:53 AM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> Google new ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6).
> https://thenextweb.com/news/the-pixel-5a-has-a-headphone-jack

Here's the direct link: <https://youtu.be/oJZuSVl5wjM>. Very amusing,
but I was waiting for them to mention "courage." Love the graphics that
make me think of the Apple Spaceship.

I liked that they mentioned 1/8" as well. I don't like the 3.5mm
headphone jack but I'm fine with a 1/8" headphone jack. Just like I
don't like Obamacare but I'm fine with the Affordable Care Act.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgm3a8$q9g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23347&group=comp.mobile.android#23347

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:26:48 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:26 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> asked
>> I'm surprised an intelligent person like you is so scared of what you refer
>> to as only two years of support.
>
> There was no point me buying a 5G phone last year, as 5G coverage was
> barely available, if I buy a one year old phone now, I won't get 3 years
> of updates for it, only two, but it won't cost 2/3 the price.

Android has been updating many phones differently starting at Android 10.
https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/modular-system

It's up to about 25 modules updated _outside_ the carriers with Android 12.
https://www.androidcentral.com/android-12-features-we-love-android-runtime-now-part-project-mainline

I got a handful of Samsung 5G phones for free in May and also a 5G iPhone
for half price so they're out there in the "free" or "half price" range.

My 5G speeds at home are fantastic, even as I live in the middle of nowhere.
https://i.postimg.cc/zf9w1tGZ/speedtest07.jpg

My carrier gave _everyone_ (in the USA, postpaid, that had _any_ data) free
unlimited 5G/4G data at no extra cost also, so I'm on 5G most of the time.

>> Do you mean warranty or OS support?
>
> I mean the monthly pixel firmware updates (kernel, SoC, baseband) that
> you don't get through Play, and the annual major version upgrades that
> google currently do for 3 years like clockwork, and it sounds like will
> be 5 years for the Pixel6 where they are more in control with 'Tensor'.

Samsung is beating Google at this game of updates, but my point is that very
few people on Android are scared senseless by the lack of updates. It's an
Apple kind of mentality to be scared witless by not having constant updates.

I kind of get annoyed by how often my Motorola and Samsung phones update.
I haven't had a Google branded phone since my Nexus series though.

The 25 updates from Project Mainline are pretty consistent, aren't they?
https://www.androidauthority.com/project-mainline-art-android-12-1202045/

>> For OS support, almost all of Android is updated asynchronously nowadays.
>> The carrier isn't even involved anymore as it's done by Google over GP.
>
> apps (including those that previously weren't separated out from the
> base O/S) and various play libraries, but not firmware.

I'm not so worried about firmware updates as you are, as even my routers and
Windows BIOS/UEFI, etc. but maybe you know a lot more than I do on threats?

The people who seem scared shitless are usually the Apple folk who will
believe _anything_ Apple feeds them just so that they can _feel_ safe.
>> Look up "Project Treble" and "Project Mainline" for an explanation of how
>> well it's working out (updates are constant, and essentially forever).
>
> Of course I know about them, but it's not the device level stuff.

I had figured you were smart enough (unlike nospam) to know about Treble.
https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/17/google_qualcomm_patching/

That was published this week indicating _three_ Android version updates.
>> It's up to something like 80% of Android is updated, essentially forever,
>> given that there is no EOL date for the modules provided over Google Play.
>>
>> All of them are open sourced in addition, which extends that "forever" too.
>> Even 8 year old Android phones are being updated constantly this way.
>> Even the Qualcomm hardware has the firmware drivers updated over GP now.
>
> I've never seen those via Play, either they're hidden, or not needed
> because Nexus/Pixel devices get them by a different mechanism?

I said Play but I meant the GSF but there's _also_ tons on Google Play.
Bear in mind that a phone has multiple levels of Android "stuff" here.

There's the operating system (25 modules are independent of carriers).
There's the firmware (Qualcomm updates now independent of carriers).
There are the default (aka key) apps (such as Chrome & Messages, etc.)
There are the non-default apps (aka the user installed apps).

Notice _all_ of that is updated easily outside the carriers nowadays.
Almost nothing (maybe 10% perhaps, maybe 20%???) is updated via carriers.

The rest is updated independently of the carriers.
(It would be nice to know _exactly_ how much though is still via carriers.)

>> Given it's nothing like it used to be, and given nobody intelligent is
>> filled with fear like the Apple owners are, I'm surprised you're scared.
>
> I'm not scared, but I want a supported device.

Not only are 25 core modules in Android 12 supported (essentially) forever,
but _all_ core modules are donated to the Android Open Source Project.

So that's a "double" forever, in that the first forever is that there is no
stated EOL that I know of, and the second is that all 25 are FOSS (AFAIK).

We can google for the details, but even 8 year old Androids are updated.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgm3no$10lm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23349&group=comp.mobile.android#23349

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:34:00 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:34 UTC

Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> asked
> That was published this week indicating _three_ Android version updates.

Wrong URL. My mistake.

*Samsung will provide _5 years_ of Android security updates*
https://9to5google.com/2021/06/29/samsung-enterprise-galaxy-5-years-updates/

That's in addition to the _4 years_ of Android updates previously.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/22/22295639/samsung-galaxy-device-2019-four-years-security-updates

And that doesn't count the double-forever updates of 25 core modules.
https://www.androidauthority.com/project-mainline-art-android-12-1202045/

Nor the forever updating of project Treble firmware (mostly Qualcomm).
Nor does that count the forever updates of key default Android apps on GP.

In summary, Android is updated like all other operating systems (except iOS)
are, where it's a decentralized system with _plenty_ of years of updates.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgm4mg$ne0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23352&group=comp.mobile.android#23352

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
the Pixel 6)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:50:23 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:50 UTC

On 8/31/2021 12:15 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Robin Goodfellow wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised an intelligent person like you is so scared of what you
>> refer
>> to as only two years of support.
>
> There was no point me buying a 5G phone last year, as 5G coverage was
> barely available, if I buy a one year old phone now, I won't get 3 years
> of updates for it, only two, but it won't cost 2/3 the price.

Other than the fact the replacement cycle for phones is now around four
years, so even though 5G coverage was just rolling out last year, by the
time you do a phone replacement it'll have been widely available for
three years. But 5G really is of little benefit on a phone, at least in
terms of theoretical data speeds unless you're using the phone as a
hotspot, and even then some carriers throttle hotspot data on unlimited
plans. Where 5G is also nice is that LTE towers are sometimes capacity
constrained, whereas there are so few people using 5G that you don't
have the congestion that is often present on LTE.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgm4qr$1g06$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23353&group=comp.mobile.android#23353

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:52:43 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:52 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
> Here's the direct link: <https://youtu.be/oJZuSVl5wjM>. Very amusing,
> but I was waiting for them to mention "courage." Love the graphics that
> make me think of the Apple Spaceship.

Thanks for that direct link to that hilarious Google ad for a headphone jack
parodying the smooth talking overblown ridiculous way Jony Ive talks in ads.

*What makes it all the more funny is Apple owners _love_ that kind of ad!*

It sounds ridiculous to anyone who is educated, but for Apple lovers, they
_eat_ that shit up (perhaps as they're desperate to be soothed by Apple).

"Precisely 3.5 millimeters in diameter. Forged and machined from the finest
premium grade copper and iron. Housed in a unibody of dicast Al-u-min-i-u-m.
Engineered for optimal haptic feedback to deliver the satisfying feeling of
click. A circle, yes. But also a hole. A tiny black hole with the
gravitational pull of a trillion collapsed stars."
https://youtu.be/oJZuSVl5wjM?t=42

*It sounds _exactly_ like a classic Apple iPhone advertisement, doesn't it.*

> I liked that they mentioned 1/8" as well. I don't like the 3.5mm
> headphone jack but I'm fine with a 1/8" headphone jack. Just like I
> don't like Obamacare but I'm fine with the Affordable Care Act.

I had to go back to catch what you caught that I had missed.

Maybe I was distracted by the poetic words & fantastic video making a huge
deal of the aux jack, I caught it on the second pass at time point 83
"Designed for well combolt? 1/8th inch 3 pole TRS and 4 pole TRRS
connections. A glorious achievement. That draws from our past as it propels
you into the future. (whisper... "it's a headphone jack") Yes. It's a
headphone jack. With the Google Pixel 5a with 5G, the circle has finally
come full circle... <wait for it>... Al-u-min-i-um!"
https://youtu.be/oJZuSVl5wjM?t=83

Note that I couldn't catch the beginning words at time point 83. Did you?

The "Al-u-min-i-um!" at the end leaves the user with no doubt this is a
parody of how Apple makes the biggest deal out of absolutely nothing,
although I do admit Apple ads are so good they could sell snow to the Inuit
(as long as the Inuit didn't know anything whatsoever about technology).

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgm6bl$4fo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23358&group=comp.mobile.android#23358

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:18:45 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:18 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
> Other than the fact the replacement cycle for phones is now around four
> years, so even though 5G coverage was just rolling out last year, by the
> time you do a phone replacement it'll have been widely available for
> three years.

Andy Burns is not like nospam so if he's "worried" about updates, then there
must be something to his worries, even as I feel I get too many of them.

Given Android is updated like most other operating systems (where none are
updated the way iOS is), it would be interesting to see how much of Android
11 and Android 12 isn't updated essentially forever nowadays.

We have to keep in mind updates on Android are similar to those of most
other operating systems in that many Android core modules are updated
outside of the OEM (just like Windows core is updated outside of Dell or
Lenovo).

Is it currently around 80% of Android? 90%? I don't know but it's a lot.
(It's 25 core modules in Android 12 and 24 in Android 11 that I have.)

All of those, AFAIK, are _also_ donated to the Android Open Source Project
(which is why it's a "double forever" on the support of core components).

Many of the firmware modules are updated outside the carrier (just as they
are with Windows PC's) unlike iOS where _everything_ requires Apple in it.

And just as with Windows, Android key default apps are almost all (if not
all!) available asynchronously via Google Play, again, updated essentially
forever (again, unlike iOS where that update stops well before forever).

It would be interesting to figure out exactly how _little_ of Android is
updated now (in Android 10, 11, and 12) the way it was in the olden days via
the carriers and their outdated push methods.

> But 5G really is of little benefit on a phone, at least in
> terms of theoretical data speeds unless you're using the phone as a
> hotspot, and even then some carriers throttle hotspot data on unlimited
> plans.

You are correct, where my carrier only gives me a puny 5GB of free 5G
hotspotting, and then, after that 5GB is used up per month per phone, they
say they won't drop me but they can lower the speeds to a measly 2G if the
network tower I'm using for hotspotting connections is considered
"congested" that month.

Since I have so many of these free phones, I can swap them about and get
15GB to 20GB of this free 5G hotspotting, but after that, it's down to 2G.

> Where 5G is also nice is that LTE towers are sometimes capacity
> constrained, whereas there are so few people using 5G that you don't
> have the congestion that is often present on LTE.

One place I've been having success swapping out these free 5G phones is with
the 8 PG&E power outages this month alone (two outages a week, each for
about a day).

The batteries on Android phones are huge nowadays, so the phones last for
days but if the outage comes at a bad time, you can swap the SIM card into
another phone which has a five amp hour battery, so you never need to charge
because that can last through two subsequent PG&E power outages.

(Normally we only get one power outage a month for about a day each, but now
it's getting to twice a week for about a day each, so PG&E must have changed
something recently that made what was acceptable to an unacceptable level).

Luckily, Android phones usually have huge batteries, so it's not so bad.
The WISP's have battery backups so we still have Internet connectivity,
although I pity the people who have cable as I'm told Comcast does not.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgm8fn$fj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23359&group=comp.mobile.android#23359

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
the Pixel 6)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:55:02 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:55 UTC

On 8/31/2021 1:52 PM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
>> Here's the direct link: <https://youtu.be/oJZuSVl5wjM>. Very amusing,
>> but I was waiting for them to mention "courage." Love the graphics that
>> make me think of the Apple Spaceship.
>
> Thanks for that direct link to that hilarious Google ad for a headphone jack
> parodying the smooth talking overblown ridiculous way Jony Ive talks in ads.

I never saw any of the Jony Ive videos, but I went and found one
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otbznqv2iZo>, and yes, that makes the
Google Pixel ad even more amusing.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgm9li$1dtd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23367&group=comp.mobile.android#23367

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:15:14 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:15 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
>> Thanks for that direct link to that hilarious Google ad for a headphone jack
>> parodying the smooth talking overblown ridiculous way Jony Ive talks in ads.
>
> I never saw any of the Jony Ive videos, but I went and found one
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otbznqv2iZo>, and yes, that makes the
> Google Pixel ad even more amusing.

That's beautiful the "Jony Ive introducing the iPhone X video" you found!
https://youtu.be/Otbznqv2iZo

"Our intention is to create an iPhone that is all display."
"This is iPhone 10."
"Developing the form & display together defines a whole new integration."
"Mechanical buttons give way to touch and gestures."
"There's no home button. A single swipe takes you to the home screen."
"We call this, Face ID!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The fact they even publish this shit makes an honest person want to puke.
(But the Apple lovers _eat_ up that puke from Jony Ive!)

Which is why the overblown outsized parody of the aux jack is so hilarious.
(Apple makes a huge deal of taking away all functionality as "courageous").

And the Apple lovers eat that shit up.
Al-u-min-i-um!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<slrnsitbn1.tnb.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23372&group=comp.mobile.android#23372

From: g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
the Pixel 6)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:36:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:36 UTC

In message <sgm31q$cak$1@dont-email.me> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> Just like I don't like Obamacare but I'm fine with the Affordable Care
> Act.

You are an idiot.

--
Penny: The only nice thing about losing magic? The radio signals in my head
went out, too.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgmb84$1bg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23374&group=comp.mobile.android#23374

From: keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:42:12 -0400
 by: knuttle - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:42 UTC

Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> asked
> You are an idiot.

You have to agree with everyone the Apple ad sarcasm is funny.
It's about the hole. The black hole. The power of a million suns.
It's perfect Apple Jony Ive ostentatious hyperbole over nothing.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<slrnsitns7.2208.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23384&group=comp.mobile.android#23384

From: g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
the Pixel 6)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 02:03:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 02:03 UTC

In message <sgmb84$1bg$1@dont-email.me> knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> asked
>> You are an idiot.

> You have to agree with everyone the Apple ad sarcasm is funny.

You snipped what I replied to which has nothing to do with Apple or ads.

--
I hope this email finds you Living in a shotgun shack
I hope this email finds you In another part of the world

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgodnb.d3o.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23417&group=comp.mobile.android#23417

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 1 Sep 2021 15:37:03 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:37 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/2021 1:52 PM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> > sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
> >> Here's the direct link: <https://youtu.be/oJZuSVl5wjM>. Very amusing,
> >> but I was waiting for them to mention "courage." Love the graphics that
> >> make me think of the Apple Spaceship.
> >
> > Thanks for that direct link to that hilarious Google ad for a headphone jack
> > parodying the smooth talking overblown ridiculous way Jony Ive talks in ads.
>
> I never saw any of the Jony Ive videos, but I went and found one
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otbznqv2iZo>, and yes, that makes the
> Google Pixel ad even more amusing.

When playing 'yours', this one popped up in the righthand panel, quite
funny AFAIC:

'Jony Ive presents the ...'
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_2mtNXrHLg>

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<ipa33tFlqn9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23448&group=comp.mobile.android#23448

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
the Pixel 6)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 20:37:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 19:37 UTC

Robin Goodfellow wrote:

> Samsung is beating Google at this game of updates, but my point is that very
> few people on Android are scared senseless by the lack of updates.

Let's see how many android devices turn out to be vulnerable to
BrakTooth and how many can be fixed through generic android service
fixes, how many need vendor specific firmware fixes, and how many go
unfixed ...

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgr08u$114t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23523&group=comp.mobile.android#23523

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 17:05:35 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 17:05 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> asked
>> Samsung is beating Google at this game of updates, but my point is that very
>> few people on Android are scared senseless by the lack of updates.
>
> Let's see how many android devices turn out to be vulnerable to
> BrakTooth and how many can be fixed through generic android service
> fixes, how many need vendor specific firmware fixes, and how many go
> unfixed ...

Andy,

We can't have an erudite conversation until we agree on the facts.

You're intelligent, which is quite different from the iOS users in general.
So it's possible to have an adult conversation with you, containing nuance.

There's no doubt the monolithic iOS update system is horribly broken just as
there's no doubt that a non Pixel non Samsung Android doesn't get as many
frequent updates for as many years as do the pixel/samsung flagships.

I have Motorola and Samsung phones (total cost for _two_ phones was $100
where the Moto G was $100 and the Samsung A32 5G was free) which get so many
monthly updates I stopped counting them.

But my point is that, starting from Android 10 and improving with each
version up to and including Android 12, almost all the core Android modules
are now updated over GSF, are they not?

We can't have an intelligent conversation until we agree on the facts.
Aren't 24 of the core Android components updated over GSF in Android 11?

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgr0gt$14f3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23524&group=comp.mobile.android#23524

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 17:09:51 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 17:09 UTC

Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> asked
> I have Motorola and Samsung phones (total cost for _two_ phones was $100
> where the Moto G was $100 and the Samsung A32 5G was free) which get so many
> monthly updates I stopped counting them.

Correction of a typo (before Apple zealots accuse me of incorrect facts).

The Moto G7 (not Moto G) that gets monthly updates was $100.
(I also have a Moto G but that cost $200 where consumer electronics that
aren't highly marketed as style, always get better, faster, and _cheaper_).

The Samsung Galaxy A32 5G which gets monthly updates was free.

_Still, the key question remains for intelligent adults to agree on._

In Android 11 (which my Samsung is), aren't 24 of the core Android modules
now updated completely independently of the carriers, over GSF or not?

....Yes or no please...
--
No intelligent conversation is possible until we agree on facts.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<ipcnijF6t4iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23540&group=comp.mobile.android#23540

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
the Pixel 6)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 20:38:57 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 19:38 UTC

Robin Goodfellow wrote:

> my point is that, starting from Android 10 and improving with each
> version up to and including Android 12, almost all the core Android modules
> are now updated over GSF, are they not?

I read that they are, but *when* are they updated? I never see it
happen like apps from playstore, or a monthly/annual firmware upgrade.
The only other "intrusive" updates I see are when the play services
themselves get updated and if you're watching youtube at the time, you
get hosed.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<sgrgn8$jmg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23560&group=comp.mobile.android#23560

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 21:46:18 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 21:46 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> asked
>> my point is that, starting from Android 10 and improving with each
>> version up to and including Android 12, almost all the core Android modules
>> are now updated over GSF, are they not?
>
> I read that they are....

Good.
As adults, once we agree on the facts, only _then_ can we move forward.
What we know is _all_ of iOS is distributed over the OTA updates, right?

By way of contrast, what we know is 24 core Android modules are updated
independently of the carriers in Android 11 (25 in Android 12) along with
Qualcomm drivers. (almost all are donated to the AOSP in addition)

We also know almost all (if not all) the default key apps are on GP, right?
(things like messenger apps, calendar apps, Gmail apps, Chrome, etc.).

What we do not yet know is "how much" of Android is all that?
Is that 25%? 50%? 75%? 90%? I don't know. Do you? Does anyone?

Also, we don't even know _how_ or _when_ those updates occur, right?
These are the _adult_ conversations we should be having.

a. As adults, we first agree on the facts.
b. Only after we agree on the facts can we discuss the ramifications.

> but *when* are they updated?

Good question. I do not know when. I suspect it's "all the time", but that
would be just a guess. We need to look that up (stay tuned as I'm agreeing
with you here before I dig into the answers because you're intelligent).

Note that the Apple morons always deny the facts so that an adult
conversation can _never_ happen (they hate facts about Apple products).

> I never see it
> happen like apps from playstore, or a monthly/annual firmware upgrade.

Well, I see a _lot_ of updates _trying_ to happen on my free Android 11.
(I disable automatic updates... but I see it's constantly trying.)
> The only other "intrusive" updates I see are when the play services
> themselves get updated and if you're watching youtube at the time, you
> get hosed.

This brings up a good point in what EXACTLY is doing the update of those 24
(25 with Android 12) core Android modules?

Is it...
GP? (google play)
GSF? (google services framework)
GMS? (google mobile services)

Dunno. I didn't read anything yet in response to your rather excellent
questions, as I first wanted to ascertain that we agree on the facts first.

Only after we agree on the facts is it possible to have an adult
conversation (where the Apple cultists refuse to ever agree on facts so that
an adult conversation is always impossible to ensue).

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<ipdua3Fdr6sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23643&group=comp.mobile.android#23643

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
the Pixel 6)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 07:40:02 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 06:40 UTC

Robin Goodfellow wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> but *when* are they updated?
>
> Good question. I do not know when. I suspect it's "all the time", but that
> would be just a guess. We need to look that up (stay tuned as I'm agreeing
> with you here before I dig into the answers because you're intelligent).

Seems that "Mainline" updates are delivered via Play, they can be normal
APKs or more likely APEX files

<https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/apex>

they will only apply after a reboot, now I can't ever think of a play
update asking for a reboot, only the pixel firmware updates do that, so
maybe Mainline updates don't apply to Pixel devices, only Samsung etc?

> Note that the Apple morons always deny the facts so that an adult
> conversation can _never_ happen (they hate facts about Apple products).

I don't particularly care what apple and their customers do.

Re: Google new Jony Ive ad makes fun of the crippled iPhone (and of the Pixel 6)

<ippk3kFlberU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24002&group=comp.mobile.android#24002

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
the Pixel 6)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 17:59:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 16:59 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> Seems that "Mainline" updates are delivered via Play, they can be normal
> APKs or more likely APEX files
>
> <https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/apex>
>
> they will only apply after a reboot, now I can't ever think of a play
> update asking for a reboot, only the pixel firmware updates do that, so
> maybe Mainline updates don't apply to Pixel devices, only Samsung etc?

Too many other cages to rattle, to read this thread?