If this is timesharing, give me my share right now.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow
+* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?sms
|`* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?YK
| +* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?sms
| |`* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?John Robertson
| | `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?sms
| |  `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
| |   `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?bje
| |    +- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
| |    `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?sms
| |     +* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
| |     |`* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow
| |     | `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
| |     |  `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow
| |     |   +* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
| |     |   |`* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow
| |     |   | `- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
| |     |   `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?sms
| |     |    +- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow
| |     |    `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
| |     |     `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow
| |     |      `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
| |     |       `- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow
| |     `- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow
| `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
|  `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?YK
|   +* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?sms
|   |`* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
|   | `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?allspam
|   |  +* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
|   |  |`- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow
|   |  `* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?sms
|   |   `- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
|   `- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?nospam
+* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Alan Baker
|`* Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Frank Slootweg
| `- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?sms
+- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow
`- Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?Robin Goodfellow

Pages:12
Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sga1an$hbr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22989&group=comp.mobile.android#22989

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 06:39:18 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 06:39 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
>> No for iOS when I asked and looked for one many years ago. :(
>
> Strange. I found one statement that said: "This is an important feature
> which was previously available on iOS." So it seems like whatever app
> there used to be that had this capability got removed for some reason. I
> don't think that this app represented any security issues.

What is most likely what sms saw was iOS "field test mode" which is nothing
like what free wi-fi analyzers on Android do but FTM is the best there was.

On Android free apps tell you so much information that you can't get on the
Apple app store that one has to wonder why iPhone users don't complain more?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manageengine.wifimonitor

Almost everything for wi-fi debugging doesn't exist in the iOS App Store.
As always, *To own an iPhone is to own a crippled operating system.*

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sga92j$inv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22990&group=comp.mobile.android#22990

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 01:51:30 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 08:51 UTC

On 8/26/2021 11:39 PM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
>>> No for iOS when I asked and looked for one many years ago. :(
>>
>> Strange. I found one statement that said: "This is an important feature
>> which was previously available on iOS." So it seems like whatever app
>> there used to be that had this capability got removed for some reason. I
>> don't think that this app represented any security issues.
>
> What is most likely what sms saw was iOS "field test mode" which is nothing
> like what free wi-fi analyzers on Android do but FTM is the best there was.

No, it was not field test mode, there used to be a real Wi-Fi analyzer
in the iOS App store. See:
<https://cydiasources.net/wifi-analyzer-cydia-app/>: “Before couple of
months, it was available on Apple app store with the name of WiFi
Scanner that allows it’s users to analyze various channels based on
filters. User can get detailed statistics data, low crowded channel or
free WiFi and much more. But recently, Apple has removed WiFi Scanner
from it’s app store."

It was available on Jailbroken iPhones for a while, but even that is
gone now, see <https://sites.google.com/site/iphonewifianalyzer/2-0-1/>
where it states "WiFi Analyzer (as well as other similar wifi scanner
apps out there) is not compatible with iOS 5 as the required APIs to
perform wifi scanning have changed."

However it is available for MacOS for $19.99, see
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wifi-explorer/id494803304>.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgaqij$pmj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22992&group=comp.mobile.android#22992

From: notonyourlife@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:50:11 -0400
 by: Alan Baker - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 13:50 UTC

On 2021-08-27 2:39 a.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
>>> No for iOS when I asked and looked for one many years ago. :(
>>
>> Strange. I found one statement that said: "This is an important feature
>> which was previously available on iOS." So it seems like whatever app
>> there used to be that had this capability got removed for some reason. I
>> don't think that this app represented any security issues.
>
> What is most likely what sms saw was iOS "field test mode" which is nothing
> like what free wi-fi analyzers on Android do but FTM is the best there was.
>
> On Android free apps tell you so much information that you can't get on the
> Apple app store that one has to wonder why iPhone users don't complain more?

Because ordinary users don't care about such things.

> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manageengine.wifimonitor
>
> Almost everything for wi-fi debugging doesn't exist in the iOS App Store.

Ordinary users don't DO "wifi debugging".

> As always, *To own an iPhone is to own a crippled operating system.*

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgauot$hti$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22994&group=comp.mobile.android#22994

From: youkidding@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 11:01:48 -0400
 by: YK - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 15:01 UTC

On 8/27/2021 8:51 AM, sms wrote:sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
> there used to be a real Wi-Fi analyzer

Apple rejects lots of apps like screen recorders which compete with their
tools such that a lot of Android functionality doesn't exist in the Apple
App store such as wifi and cellular debuggers, automatic phone call
recorders, clones of popular apps like youtube, homescreen organization
tools, gps positioning spoofers, and even the privacy based official tor
browser (these common apps don't exist anywhere in the iOS app store).

At least soon we may find out why iOS is missing all these good utilities.

"Apple agreed to publish an annual transparency report that provides
statistics on the number of apps rejected and reasons why, the
number of customer and developer accounts deactivated, objective data
regarding search queries and results, and the number of apps removed from
the App Store."
https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-settles-lawsuit-to-allow-developers-to-use-payment-systems-outside-of-app-store/

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgav7s$vul$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22996&group=comp.mobile.android#22996

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 08:09:46 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 15:09 UTC

On 8/27/2021 8:01 AM, YK wrote:
> On 8/27/2021 8:51 AM, sms wrote:sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
>> there used to be a real Wi-Fi analyzer
>
> Apple rejects lots of apps like screen recorders which compete with their
> tools such that a lot of Android functionality doesn't exist in the Apple
> App store such as wifi and cellular debuggers, automatic phone call
> recorders, clones of popular apps like youtube, homescreen organization
> tools, gps positioning spoofers, and even the privacy based official tor
> browser (these common apps don't exist anywhere in the iOS app store).

Well as bje pointed out, hidden inside the App utility for Apple's
now-discontinued AirPort devices, is a Wi-Fi scanner, see
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/airport-utility/id427276530>. It's
something you'd be unlikely to ever find unless you once had an AirPort
device, and knew that this capability was there (if you went into
settings and turned it on). Not as nice as the Android Wi-Fi analyzer
app, but it will do.

Apple allows the Mac App Store Wi-Fi Explorer App
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wifi-explorer/id494803304> so it's not
like this is functionality that would be used for any devious purposes.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<270820211127506803%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22998&group=comp.mobile.android#22998

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 11:27:50 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 15:27 UTC

In article <sgauot$hti$1@gioia.aioe.org>, YK <youkidding@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Apple rejects lots of apps like screen recorders which compete with their
> tools

no they don't.

there are *many* apps that compete with apple's own apps, including
browsers, mail apps, camera apps, health apps and much more.

more apps sells more phones. apple *wants* more apps.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgb1pc$6ms$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23000&group=comp.mobile.android#23000

From: spam@flippers.com (John Robertson)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:53:15 -0600
 by: John Robertson - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 15:53 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
> Well as bje pointed out, hidden inside the App utility for Apple's
> now-discontinued AirPort devices, is a Wi-Fi scanner, see
> <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/airport-utility/id427276530>. It's
> something you'd be unlikely to ever find unless you once had an AirPort
> device, and knew that this capability was there (if you went into
> settings and turned it on). Not as nice as the Android Wi-Fi analyzer
> app, but it will do.

Not as nice is an understatement.
It's not even close.

> Apple allows the Mac App Store Wi-Fi Explorer App
> <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wifi-explorer/id494803304> so it's not
> like this is functionality that would be used for any devious purposes.

Windows has always had graphical wifi scanning output, for free.
https://www.netspotapp.com/best-wifi-scanner-apps-windows.html
inSSIDer
Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
WifiInfoView
WiFi Scanner
NetSpot

If needed there are far more detailed sniffers on Windows, for free.
Kismet
Netstumbler
Aircrack
Nmap
Ipscan
PortReporter
TcpOptimizer
TcpView

macOS 10.10+ also has some of the same free wifi scanning & graphing tools.
Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
WiFi Scanner
NetSpot

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgb90m.c3k.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23001&group=comp.mobile.android#23001

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 27 Aug 2021 15:56:49 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 15:56 UTC

Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> wrote:
> On 2021-08-27 2:39 a.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> > sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
> >>
> >> Strange. I found one statement that said: "This is an important feature
> >> which was previously available on iOS." So it seems like whatever app
> >> there used to be that had this capability got removed for some reason. I
> >> don't think that this app represented any security issues.
> >
> > What is most likely what sms saw was iOS "field test mode" which is nothing
> > like what free wi-fi analyzers on Android do but FTM is the best there was.
> >
> > On Android free apps tell you so much information that you can't get on the
> > Apple app store that one has to wonder why iPhone users don't complain more?
>
> Because ordinary users don't care about such things.
>
> > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer
> > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z
> > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manageengine.wifimonitor
> >
> > Almost everything for wi-fi debugging doesn't exist in the iOS App Store.
>
> Ordinary users don't DO "wifi debugging".

You might want to try an actual argument! [1] "ordinary users" -
whatever they are - don't do a lot of things. Does the App Store only
carry apps for 'ordinary users'? I thought not. I'm sure that are a lot
of 'non-ordinary' apps in the App Store.

N.B. Enjoy the F1.

> > As always, *To own an iPhone is to own a crippled operating system.*

[1] That your non-argument is a response to something AH said, doesn't
excuse it.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgb2pm$2pv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23002&group=comp.mobile.android#23002

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:10:28 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:10 UTC

On 8/27/2021 8:53 AM, John Robertson wrote:
> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
>> Well as bje pointed out, hidden inside the App utility for Apple's
>> now-discontinued AirPort devices, is a Wi-Fi scanner, see
>> <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/airport-utility/id427276530>. It's
>> something you'd be unlikely to ever find unless you once had an
>> AirPort device, and knew that this capability was there (if you went
>> into settings and turned it on). Not as nice as the Android Wi-Fi
>> analyzer app, but it will do.
>
> Not as nice is an understatement. It's not even close.
>
>> Apple allows the Mac App Store Wi-Fi Explorer App
>> <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wifi-explorer/id494803304> so it's not
>> like this is functionality that would be used for any devious purposes.
>
> Windows has always had graphical wifi scanning output, for free.
> https://www.netspotapp.com/best-wifi-scanner-apps-windows.html
> inSSIDer Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
> WifiInfoView
> WiFi Scanner
> NetSpot
>
> If needed there are far more detailed sniffers on Windows, for free.
> Kismet
> Netstumbler
> Aircrack
> Nmap
> Ipscan
> PortReporter
> TcpOptimizer
> TcpView
>
> macOS 10.10+ also has some of the same free wifi scanning & graphing tools.
> Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
> WiFi Scanner
> NetSpot

True. So why aren't such apps permitted for the iPhone or iPad? It would
be a lot more convenient, though I suppose a Surface Pro (or similar)
would be just as convenient as an iPad.

One issue is the 802.11 bands that are supported on the Mac or Windows box.

If you have a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, then all the 802.11 bands are
supported, and it's a nice handheld device you can walk around with.

I suppose that with a laptop you could just buy the latest USB Wi-Fi
adapter if your laptop doesn't support the latest bands but I don't even
think that Wi-Fi 6E USB adapters are for sale yet, only PCIe cards.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<270820211213391864%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23003&group=comp.mobile.android#23003

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 12:13:39 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:13 UTC

In article <sgb2pm$2pv$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> True. So why aren't such apps permitted for the iPhone or iPad?

they're permitted, it's just that there's not enough demand for
developers to bother writing any.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgb3h9$em7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23004&group=comp.mobile.android#23004

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:23:03 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:23 UTC

On 8/27/2021 8:56 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> wrote:

<snip>

>> Ordinary users don't DO "wifi debugging".
>
> You might want to try an actual argument! [1] "ordinary users" -
> whatever they are - don't do a lot of things. Does the App Store only
> carry apps for 'ordinary users'? I thought not. I'm sure that are a lot
> of 'non-ordinary' apps in the App Store.

No, no! We were all wondering how long the "ordinary users don't care"
excuse would be put forward by one of our favorite trolls. Thankfully it
did not take long so no one was disappointed. It's one of their stock
on iOS but is available on other platforms.

Obviously the Mac attracts a sufficient number of non-ordinary users to
warrant Apple selling a Wi-Fi debugging app on their Mac App Store, but
iPhones do not have enough such non-ordinary users, even though the
number of iPhone users is more than an order of magnitude higher
(estimate is 1 billion iPhone users versus 100 million Mac users).

If 5% of iPhone users are non-ordinary that would be 50 million people.
If 20% of Mac users are non-ordinary that would be 20 million people. So
in raw numbers it is likely that there would still be more non-ordinary
iPhone users than non-ordinary Mac users.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgb3m8$12lb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23005&group=comp.mobile.android#23005

From: youkidding@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 12:25:43 -0400
 by: YK - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:25 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> asked
>> Apple rejects lots of apps like screen recorders
>
> no they don't.

How do you get the New York Times app in China for an iPhone?

Apple executes New Year's Eve apps purge in China
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55497222

Or call recorders or wifi graphical recorders for the iPhone?

Apple's team that greenlights iPhone apps for the App Store
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/21/how-apples-app-review-process-for-the-app-store-works.html

> there are *many* apps that compete with apple's own apps, including
> browsers, mail apps, camera apps, health apps and much more.

Where is the privacy on iOS that the Guardian Tor Browser Bundle provides?

https://support.torproject.org/tormobile/tormobile-3/
"Apple requires browsers on iOS to use something called Webkit which
prevents Onion Browser from having the same privacy protections as Tor
Browser."
> more apps sells more phones. apple *wants* more apps.

RescueTime for iOS update: Apple has removed us from the App store
https://blog.rescuetime.com/rescuetime-for-ios-removed/

Is Apple engaging in anti-competitive behavior by removing parental control
apps from the App Store
https://www.imore.com/why-apple-pulled-screen-time-apps-app-store

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgb4ds$tsb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23007&group=comp.mobile.android#23007

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:38:19 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:38 UTC

On 8/27/2021 9:25 AM, YK wrote:

<snip>

> How do you get the New York Times app in China for an iPhone?

The same way you get the New York Times app in China for an Android
phone, with a VPN. And you need to install that VPN before you go. In
fact, install a few top-rated VPNs just in case one stops working. See
<https://www.techradar.com/news/best-vpn-for-china-our-5-top-choices>.

Even if you install an app like the New York Times app in countries
where it is available in an app store, it won't work without a VPN in
countries where they don't allow access to the provider's web site.

Actually, if you're roaming from your U.S. carrier in China you can
probably access sites like the New York Times without a problem. Or if
you buy a Hong Kong SIM card it used to work, not sure anymore. And
fancy hotels usually don't block sites because it would upset foreign
guests.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<270820211249099641%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23008&group=comp.mobile.android#23008

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 12:49:09 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:49 UTC

In article <sgb3m8$12lb$1@gioia.aioe.org>, YK <youkidding@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> How do you get the New York Times app in China for an iPhone?

that's china's restrictions, not anything apple did, and can be
bypassed anyway.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<270820211249109701%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23009&group=comp.mobile.android#23009

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 12:49:10 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:49 UTC

In article <sgb4ds$tsb$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> install a few top-rated VPNs just in case one stops working.

only one reliable vpn is needed.

if the vpn is not reliable and stops working, then it's by definition,
not top rated.

the 'top rated' vpns are the ones to be avoided because they pay for
their 'rating'. they're not top based on merits. they also are the most
heavily advertised, offering spiffs to sites that promote it.

some vpn 'ratings' sites are actually fronts for the vpn companies
themselves and rate their own products as the best.

this is not unique to vpns either. a lot of 'ratings' sites are shills.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgbag7$gg6$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23013&group=comp.mobile.android#23013

From: bje@ripco.com
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 18:21:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bje@ripco.com - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 18:21 UTC

In misc.phone.mobile.iphone nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> they're permitted, it's just that there's not enough demand for
> developers to bother writing any.

No, they are not permitted...

https://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,900565,900676

Apple will come up with any excuse to yank an app THEY THINK will diminish
the luster of iPhone ownership, in this case "private frameworks".

Can't have those apps to be used (somehow) as a piracy tool.

Nope nope nope.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<270820211423248955%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23014&group=comp.mobile.android#23014

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 14:23:24 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 18:23 UTC

In article <sgbag7$gg6$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com>, <bje@ripco.com> wrote:

> > they're permitted, it's just that there's not enough demand for
> > developers to bother writing any.
>

> No, they are not permitted...

yes they are

> https://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,900565,900676

11 years old and not relevant.

> Apple will come up with any excuse to yank an app THEY THINK will diminish
> the luster of iPhone ownership, in this case "private frameworks".

nonsense

> Can't have those apps to be used (somehow) as a piracy tool.

it has nothing to do with piracy.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgbeh4$jj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23015&group=comp.mobile.android#23015

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 12:30:43 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 19:30 UTC

On 8/27/2021 11:21 AM, bje@ripco.com wrote:
> In misc.phone.mobile.iphone nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> they're permitted, it's just that there's not enough demand for
>> developers to bother writing any.
>

> No, they are not permitted...
>
> https://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,900565,900676
>
> Apple will come up with any excuse to yank an app THEY THINK will diminish
> the luster of iPhone ownership, in this case "private frameworks".
>
> Can't have those apps to be used (somehow) as a piracy tool.
>
> Nope nope nope.

nospam is wrong of course™.

nospam's™ excuse doesn't make a lot of sense given that Apple actually
sells the Wi-Fi Explorer App in the Mac Store. Such an App would
certainly be more useful, for multiple reasons, on an iPhone or iPad.
And it could be a paid app since it's so useful.

nospam's™ excuse also doesn't make a lot of sense given that such an app
used to be available on the iOS App store and was removed, apparently
because changes to the API made it no longer possible for apps to access
the necessary data.

Considering that the iPhone's own AirPort Utility App shows you all the
Wi-Fi networks that it can see (28 different ones from my couch), and a
numerical value of the signal strength, allowing a third-party app to
take all that data and present it in more graphical and usable form,
would not appear add any piracy risk.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgbfre$pgu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23016&group=comp.mobile.android#23016

From: allspam@allspam.invalid (allspam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 15:53:17 -0400
 by: allspam - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 19:53 UTC

In article <news:270820211249109701%nospam@nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> install a few top-rated VPNs just in case one stops working.
>
> only one reliable vpn is needed.

What nospam doesn't seem to realize is the pragmatic fact that you _do_
often need more than one VPN _because_ of how censorship works in practice.

Some are blocked while others aren't, depending on the censor's methods.
After a while you get a good feel for which are blocked by each entity.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<270820211615030852%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23017&group=comp.mobile.android#23017

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:15:03 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:15 UTC

In article <sgbfre$pgu$1@dont-email.me>, allspam
<allspam@allspam.invalid> wrote:

> Some are blocked while others aren't, depending on the censor's methods.
> After a while you get a good feel for which are blocked by each entity.

the good vpns *can't* be blocked because it looks like ordinary
internet traffic, using standard ports.

for you, it doesn't matter, since you never leave your house.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<270820211615040928%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23018&group=comp.mobile.android#23018

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:15:04 -0400
References: <sg9da0$3ro$1@dont-email.me> <A-WdnUvPq94Z17X8nZ2dnUU7-RWdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <sg9k42$7e9$1@dont-email.me> <sga1an$hbr$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sga92j$inv$1@dont-email.me> <sgauot$hti$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sgav7s$vul$1@dont-email.me> <sgb1pc$6ms$1@news.mixmin.net> <sgb2pm$2pv$1@dont-email.me> <270820211213391864%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sgbag7$gg6$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com> <sgbeh4$jj$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:15 UTC

In article <sgbeh4$jj$1@dont-email.me>, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

> nospam's excuse doesn't make a lot of sense given that Apple actually
> sells the Wi-Fi Explorer App in the Mac Store. Such an App would
> certainly be more useful, for multiple reasons, on an iPhone or iPad.
> And it could be a paid app since it's so useful.

apple didn't write that app nor did they pay anyone to do so.

a third party developer did.

you also have *no* idea how many downloads it's had.

just because something is on the mac app store doesn't mean it's a top
seller (hint: it isn't).

but if you think such an app would be 'so useful' then go learn how to
write apps, release it to the masses and then post your un-doctored
sales data.

at a minimum, that would keep you busy enough to not troll, and an
additional benefit is you would also learn just how incredibly wrong
your bogus 'list' of 'features' actually is, not that anything would
change.

> nospam's excuse also doesn't make a lot of sense given that such an app
> used to be available on the iOS App store and was removed, apparently
> because changes to the API made it no longer possible for apps to access
> the necessary data.

that was a decade ago.

apis change from year to year and developers can choose to update their
apps for new apis if they deem it worthwhile. many of them do, but not
all.

if an app is not profitable and/or has few customers, then there's very
little reason for a developer to continue working on it.

this is not unique to apple. lots of windows and android apps become
abandonware.

> Considering that the iPhone's own AirPort Utility App shows you all the
> Wi-Fi networks that it can see (28 different ones from my couch), and a
> numerical value of the signal strength, allowing a third-party app to
> take all that data and present it in more graphical and usable form,
> would not appear add any piracy risk.

there is no piracy risk.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgbhhu$1rvj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23019&group=comp.mobile.android#23019

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:22:21 +0000
References: <sg9da0$3ro$1@dont-email.me> <A-WdnUvPq94Z17X8nZ2dnUU7-RWdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <sg9k42$7e9$1@dont-email.me> <sga1an$hbr$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sga92j$inv$1@dont-email.me> <sgauot$hti$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sgav7s$vul$1@dont-email.me> <sgb1pc$6ms$1@news.mixmin.net> <sgb2pm$2pv$1@dont-email.me> <270820211213391864%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sgbag7$gg6$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com> <sgbeh4$jj$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:22 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
> Considering that the iPhone's own AirPort Utility App shows you all the
> Wi-Fi networks that it can see (28 different ones from my couch), and a
> numerical value of the signal strength, allowing a third-party app to
> take all that data and present it in more graphical and usable form,
> would not appear add any piracy risk.

*To own an iPhone is to own a device which can't do the simplest of things.*

It doesn't really matter why there are no graphical wifi debuggers on the
iOS App Store because only nospam would stoop so low in his desperation to
defend everything Apple to argue they exist when they do not exist there.

In his desperation to defend Apple, nospam thinks nothing of fabricating
apps out of thin air which nobody (not even nospam) can name (because they
don't exist except in the tortured mind of the Apple apologists).

It's the same desperate argument nospam always uses to excuse Apple's lack
of scores of functionalities which exist for Android in bountiful measures.

Try to find on the iOS App Store an automatic call recorder or a cellular
signal strength graphical debugger or even the privacy based tor browser.

*The iPhone is crippled by its lack of even the most basic of utilities.*

Even in the rare cases where Google prevents an app from being on the Google
Play repo, you can always get them in another repo without needing to root.

An example would be a system wide FOSS firewall, or a true YouTube clone.
As always, the fact is *to own an iPhone is to own a crippled device*.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgbhk8$rj7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23020&group=comp.mobile.android#23020

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 13:23:35 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:23 UTC

On 8/27/2021 12:53 PM, allspam wrote:
> In article <news:270820211249109701%nospam@nospam.invalid>, nospam
> <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>> install a few top-rated VPNs just in case one stops working.
>>
>> only one reliable vpn is needed.
>
> What nospam doesn't seem to realize is the pragmatic fact that you _do_
> often need more than one VPN _because_ of how censorship works in practice.
>
> Some are blocked while others aren't, depending on the censor's methods.
> After a while you get a good feel for which are blocked by each entity.

nospam is wrong of course™.

When it comes to China, the government works very hard to shut down VPN
access. The VPN providers work hard to keep VPN access working. One week
one VPN provider may get blocked while another works fine, and the next
week the one that was blocked may change something to get it working
again and the other one may stop working. It's a cat and mouse game.

nospam can begin to educate himself by reading this article
<https://www.travelchinacheaper.com/vpns-still-work-china>. As the
author, who lives in China, explains "no matter which VPN you use right
now, you’re going to have connection problems. Personally, this is why I
subscribe to multiple VPN services."

I had to laugh at how you began with: "What nospam doesn't seem to
realize." You could write a thousand page book on "what nospam doesn't
seem to realize," though it's unclear whether or not he really lacks
knowledge on such a large number of subjects or he just throws out
random responses to posts just to be obnoxious.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<270820211629111745%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23021&group=comp.mobile.android#23021

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:29:11 -0400
References: <sg9da0$3ro$1@dont-email.me> <A-WdnUvPq94Z17X8nZ2dnUU7-RWdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <sg9k42$7e9$1@dont-email.me> <sga1an$hbr$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sga92j$inv$1@dont-email.me> <sgauot$hti$1@gioia.aioe.org> <270820211127506803%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sgb3m8$12lb$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sgb4ds$tsb$1@dont-email.me> <270820211249109701%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sgbfre$pgu$1@dont-email.me> <sgbhk8$rj7$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:29 UTC

In article <sgbhk8$rj7$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> When it comes to China, the government works very hard to shut down VPN
> access. The VPN providers work hard to keep VPN access working. One week
> one VPN provider may get blocked while another works fine, and the next
> week the one that was blocked may change something to get it working
> again and the other one may stop working. It's a cat and mouse game.

the might work hard, but they can't block vpns that look like ordinary
traffic without a major disruption to everyone.

in other words, the shitty vpns might be blocked. the better ones work
just fine.

Re: Is there an iOS app similar to the Android WiFi Analyzer app?

<sgbi23$2t1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23022&group=comp.mobile.android#23022

From: Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:30:58 +0000
References: <sg9da0$3ro$1@dont-email.me> <A-WdnUvPq94Z17X8nZ2dnUU7-RWdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <sg9k42$7e9$1@dont-email.me> <sga1an$hbr$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sga92j$inv$1@dont-email.me> <sgauot$hti$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sgav7s$vul$1@dont-email.me> <sgb1pc$6ms$1@news.mixmin.net> <sgb2pm$2pv$1@dont-email.me> <270820211213391864%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sgbag7$gg6$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com> <sgbeh4$jj$1@dont-email.me> <270820211615040928%nospam@nospam.invalid>
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:30 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> asked
> just because something is on the mac app store doesn't mean it's a top
> seller (hint: it isn't).

In his desperation to defend Apple's lack of functional apps on the iOS App
Store nospam misses the point that very few people are so ignorant as to
purchase a $15 app when there are free apps which do the same thing.

> but if you think such an app would be 'so useful' then go learn how to
> write apps, release it to the masses and then post your un-doctored
> sales data.

As nospam becomes increasingly desperate to defend Apple's sordid lack of
functional software for the iPhone, after he is caught fabricating imaginary
apps that don't exist, he'll tell you to write your own apps to do the job.

> at a minimum, that would keep you busy enough to not troll, and an
> additional benefit is you would also learn just how incredibly wrong
> your bogus 'list' of 'features' actually is, not that anything would
> change.

I found his list rather useful, and, in fact, I thought it credible that he
added the fact there are no apps in the iOS App Store to do something so
basic which, let's be clear, is on _every_ other platform _except_ iOS.

It's really only iOS that is crippled.

> if an app is not profitable and/or has few customers, then there's very
> little reason for a developer to continue working on it.

Why is it that I can outfit my Android phone with not only _all_ the
functionality of any iOS device, but which has more app functionality than
most Android users' devices, all using free apps (most of which are FOSS).

I can't outfit my iPad to do anything close to what my Android does already.
> this is not unique to apple. lots of windows and android apps become
> abandonware.

What _is_ unique to iOS is that almost always the functionality desired (in
this case, wifi graphical debuggers) exists on all platforms _except_ iOS!
>> Considering that the iPhone's own AirPort Utility App shows you all the
>> Wi-Fi networks that it can see (28 different ones from my couch), and a
>> numerical value of the signal strength, allowing a third-party app to
>> take all that data and present it in more graphical and usable form,
>> would not appear add any piracy risk.
>
> there is no piracy risk.

It really doesn't matter _why_ the iOS App Store lacks so many app
functionalities that _every_ other platform has because it is what it is.

It boils down to the same fact *To own an iOS device is to own a cripple."