From: andre@VERT/RDOMENTR (Andre)
To: echicken
Subject: Safari web fail
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 08:10:59 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Andre - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:10 UTC

echicken, I'm getting an error occasionally on iPhone safari with webv4. Any
ideas where I should look to sort it out? I notice it sporadically when viewing
some threads in forums.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32169082/safari-cannot-decode-raw-data-when
-using-gzip/32169083#32169083

- Andre

---
� Synchronet � Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org

Safari web fail

<62393FB5.3616.sync_js@bbs.electronicchicken.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=735&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript#735

From: echicken@VERT/ECBBS (echicken)
To: Andre
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 20:17:09 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: echicken - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 01:17 UTC

Re: Safari web fail
By: Andre to echicken on Mon Mar 21 2022 15:10:59

An> echicken, I'm getting an error occasionally on iPhone safari with webv4.
An> Any ideas where I should look to sort it out? I notice it sporadically
An> when viewing some threads in forums.

An> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32169082/safari-cannot-decode-raw-data
An> -when -using-gzip/32169083#32169083

I can't click on that link at the moment, but offhand I'll tell you that webv4 doesn't knowingly use gzip for anything. Perhaps the webserver is compressing the payload. Maybe that can be turned off? Not that it would be a great solution.

Is there any pattern, like it only happens if the page contains a very long thread, etc.? I'm wondering why it's intermittent.

---
echicken
electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
---
■ Synchronet ■ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com

Safari web fail

<6239957D.1147.dove-syncjs@bbs.radiomentor.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=736&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript#736

From: andre@VERT/RDOMENTR (Andre)
To: echicken
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 21:23:09 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Andre - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 02:23 UTC

Re: Safari web fail
By: echicken to Andre on Tue Mar 22 2022 03:17 am

ec> Is there any pattern, like it only happens if the page contains a very
ec> long thread, etc.? I'm wondering why it's intermittent.

I haven't noticed a simple pattern yet, and haven't really tried to troubleshoot it. Just noticed it happening sometimes, and seemingly lately happening more often.

Didn't know if anything ideas came to mind for you. No sweat... I'll try to figure it out eventually.

- Andre

---
■ Synchronet ■ Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org

Safari web fail

<6239E042.3618.sync_js@bbs.electronicchicken.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=737&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript#737

From: echicken@VERT/ECBBS (echicken)
To: Andre
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 07:42:10 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: echicken - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 12:42 UTC

Re: Safari web fail
By: Andre to echicken on Tue Mar 22 2022 04:23:09

An> I haven't noticed a simple pattern yet, and haven't really tried to
An> troubleshoot it. Just noticed it happening sometimes, and seemingly lately
An> happening more often.

An> Didn't know if anything ideas came to mind for you. No sweat... I'll try
An> to figure it out eventually.

Do you have a proxy / reverse proxy between the browser and your web server, or anything like that? Possibly something is trying to be helpful.

I haven't used Safari on mobile in a long time so I don't know how much investigating you're able to do. On a desktop I'd probably bring up dev tools, look at the network tab, try to see which response was causing the problem, look at the headers etc.

Most search results for this point to gzip, but I get the sense that there could be other causes. (Not sure if a similar error would happen on bad imageurl data, etc., in which case avatars might be a cause.)

---
echicken
electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
---
■ Synchronet ■ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com

dovenet / Synchronet Javascript / Safari web fail