From: rotorek@VERT/BEERS20 (Rotorek)
To: All
Subject: KISS TNC with paKet
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 04:46:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Rotorek - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 04:46 UTC

Hello everyone,

I've finished my vp-digi TNC board (KISS enabled board, not a fully featured TNC with AGW) and I'm playing with packets.

I'm able to use the TNC just fine using e.g. QtTermTcp in linux or Tera Term on windows, but there's one computer where I'd like to run a DOS terminal app. I've read somewhere that paKet is one of the better terminals for DOS, so I wanted to give it a try.

When I run it, it displays a message saying that it can't find the TNC. But, I can send commands to the TNC just fine using the terminal and I see it's responses. And the TNC starts in KISS mode after startup. So, it should just work. However, when I tell paKet to make a call to a station using the Alt-C command -- I see only 'CONNECT' message in the output window and nothing else happens.

So, I'm not sure if I'm missing something. It seems like paKet should support KISS enabled devices. So, is there a need for some driver to make KISS work in DOS ?

73 de OK4ME aka Rotorek

.... A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered mind.

KISS TNC with paKet

<662911EE.8055.dove-ham@bbs.electronicchicken.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1639&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#1639

From: echicken@VERT/ECBBS (echicken)
To: Rotorek
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 10:06:38 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: echicken - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:06 UTC

Re: KISS TNC with paKet
By: Rotorek to All on Wed Apr 24 2024 04:46:00

Ro> I've finished my vp-digi TNC board (KISS enabled board, not a fully
Ro> featured TNC with AGW) and I'm playing with packets.

I used AGW years ago so I may not be remembering right, but I would've thought a KISS device is all it needs. I never saw it as a TNC feature.

Ro> I'm able to use the TNC just fine using e.g. QtTermTcp in linux or Tera

Ro> But, I can send commands to the TNC just fine using the terminal and I see
Ro> it's responses. And the TNC starts in KISS mode after startup. So, it

If you can send keyboard commands to the TNC and it responds to them, then it's not in KISS mode. You didn't mention, but are you taking steps to exit KISS mode prior to using QtTermTcp or TeraTerm?

Ro> So, I'm not sure if I'm missing something. It seems like paKet should
Ro> support KISS enabled devices. So, is there a need for some driver to make

I'm not familiar with your TNC or paKet so can't say much more except the problem likely boils down to "TNC not in KISS mode" or "incorrect serial port configuration (in paKet, I suppose)".
echicken
electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
---
■ Synchronet ■ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com

KISS TNC with paKet

<6629E9A3.773.dove-ham@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1642&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#1642

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (phigan)
To: Rotorek
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 22:26:59 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: phigan - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 05:26 UTC

Re: KISS TNC with paKet
By: Rotorek to All on Wed Apr 24 2024 04:46 am

> I'm able to use the TNC just fine using e.g. QtTermTcp in linux or Tera Term
> windows, but there's one computer where I'd like to run a DOS terminal app.

Those terms are new to me, so first off thanks for mentioning them.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question because so far I've only
used TNCs that have their own command shells and could just use Minicom or
whatever terminal (Telix, Telemate, etc). Then I can put them in KISS mode and
use kissattach for the ax.25 tools or run an APRS app or whatever.

Have you tried your TNC with anything like Xastir or YAAC or PinPoint (Win)?

I have questions about the three terms you listed, but I think I'll try to find
them and see if I can answer them myself.

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

dovenet / HAM Radio / KISS TNC with paKet