You can always pick up your needle and move to another groove. -- Tim Leary

dovenet / Internet / Dialed In

SubjectAuthor
* Dialed Inpoindexter FORTRAN
+* Dialed InDumas Walker
|`* Dialed InMRO
| `- Dialed InDumas Walker
`* Dialed InOgg
 +* Dialed InMRO
 |`- Re: Dialed InGamgee
 `* Re: Dialed Inpoindexter FORTRAN
  `- Re: Dialed InMRO

1
Dialed In

<662BB439.5545.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1078&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1078

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: All
Subject: Dialed In
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 07:03:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:03 UTC

I went to a talk at the Computer History Museum last night titled
"Dialed In: The Prehistory of Social Media".

Kevin Driscoll, author of the book "Modem Media" and Danah Boyd, author
of "It's Complicated: The social lives of networked teens" made up a
panel with a moderator.

They spoke quite a bit about the dial-up days, touching on the local
flavor dial-up BBSes had, told some stories they'd heard about local
nodes (like the local coffee.net that San Francisco had that brought in
non-computer owners into online communities) and touched on some of the
qualities of the earlier online experience. What I was reminded of was
how exclusive BBSing was - you needed a computer, a modem, and then you
needed to find a way to get your first comms program and find a BBS
phone number list.

Of course, no mention of the fact that BBSes persevere to this day. That
wouldn't fit the narrative...

I went with a group of sysops from the day - Dr. Strangelove (Just Say
Yes), Taipan Enigma (&TOTSE), Zardoz (Burn this Flag) and Destiny,
someone who I met post-BBSes - but is a part of the post-BBS social
scene. It was great catching up with them - although we all had places
to be, kids to pick up from babysitters, work to be done tomorrow, and
long drives home, didn't end up closing down a bar like we'd done in the
past.

.... THE SEVEN JOURNEYS TO ITSELFNESS
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Dialed In

<662D16DE.5821.dove-int@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1082&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1082

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: POINDEXTER FORTRAN
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:09:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Dumas Walker - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 15:09 UTC

> I went to a talk at the Computer History Museum last night titled
> "Dialed In: The Prehistory of Social Media".

Sounds like a good time overall. Where is this museum?

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Mistress - something between a mister and a mattress.
---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Dialed In

<662D6DF6.1810.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1083&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1083

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:28:22 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:28 UTC

Re: Dialed In
By: Dumas Walker to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Sat Apr 27 2024 10:09 am

> > I went to a talk at the Computer History Museum last night titled
> > "Dialed In: The Prehistory of Social Media".
>
> Sounds like a good time overall. Where is this museum?
>
> Mike

too bad he didn't tell us about it before he went. we could have watched it live together on youtube.
https://computerhistory.org/events/dialed-in/
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Dialed In

<662EB69D.5825.dove-int@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1084&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1084

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MRO
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 15:38:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Dumas Walker - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:38 UTC

>too bad he didn't tell us about it before he went. we could have watched it li
>e together on youtube.
>https://computerhistory.org/events/dialed-in/

:D Good catch!

* SLMR 2.1a * He's dead Jim. Grab his tricorder. I'll get his wallet.
---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Dialed In

<662EE831.5827.dove-int@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1085&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1085

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:20:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Ogg - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 00:20 UTC

Hello pF!

** On Friday 26.04.24 - 07:03, poindexter FORTRAN wrote to All:

pF> I went to a talk at the Computer History Museum last night
pF> titled "Dialed In: The Prehistory of Social Media".

[...]

pF> Of course, no mention of the fact that BBSes persevere to
pF> this day. That wouldn't fit the narrative...

The lack of mention of how BBSes are represented today is sad.
I think people have heard enough of the history. But unlike
some things from the past that are has-beens and don't carry
on, BBSes have continued to exist and should be mentioned in
panels and talks about the technology!

--- OpenXP 5.0.58
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Dialed In

<662F2C06.1813.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1086&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1086

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Ogg
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 00:11:34 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 05:11 UTC

Re: Dialed In
By: Ogg to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Apr 28 2024 08:20 pm

> Hello pF!
>
> ** On Friday 26.04.24 - 07:03, poindexter FORTRAN wrote to All:
>
> pF> I went to a talk at the Computer History Museum last night
> pF> titled "Dialed In: The Prehistory of Social Media".
>
> [...]
>
> pF> Of course, no mention of the fact that BBSes persevere to
> pF> this day. That wouldn't fit the narrative...
>
> The lack of mention of how BBSes are represented today is sad.
> I think people have heard enough of the history. But unlike
> some things from the past that are has-beens and don't carry
> on, BBSes have continued to exist and should be mentioned in
> panels and talks about the technology!

bbses are not perservering. they are pathetic shadows of their former selves.
they are not worth mentioning.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Dialed In

<662F96DD.3806.dove-internet@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1087&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1087

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR (Gamgee)
To: MRO
Subject: Re: Dialed In
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 07:43:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Gamgee - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 12:43 UTC

-=> MRO wrote to Ogg <=-

> The lack of mention of how BBSes are represented today is sad.
> I think people have heard enough of the history. But unlike
> some things from the past that are has-beens and don't carry
> on, BBSes have continued to exist and should be mentioned in
> panels and talks about the technology!

MR> bbses are not perservering. they are pathetic shadows of their
MR> former selves. they are not worth mentioning.

And yet..... here you are.

A pathetic shadow, not worth mentioning.

.... YORGAMAK HAS ARRIVED AND WILL INITIATE DESTRUCTIMATION.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Dialed In

<662FA4E4.5551.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1088&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1088

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Ogg
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 06:11:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 13:11 UTC

-=> Ogg wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Og> The lack of mention of how BBSes are represented today is sad.
Og> I think people have heard enough of the history. But unlike
Og> some things from the past that are has-beens and don't carry
Og> on, BBSes have continued to exist and should be mentioned in
Og> panels and talks about the technology!

One of the questions submitted to the panel (not by me, surprisingly)
was "what about the current BBS scene?". It didn't get asked.

.... Socks are carcinogenic.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: Dialed In

<662FC071.1815.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1089&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1089

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 10:44:49 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 15:44 UTC

Re: Re: Dialed In
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Ogg on Mon Apr 29 2024 06:11 am

> Og> some things from the past that are has-beens and don't carry
> Og> on, BBSes have continued to exist and should be mentioned in
> Og> panels and talks about the technology!
>
> One of the questions submitted to the panel (not by me, surprisingly)
> was "what about the current BBS scene?". It didn't get asked.

that was a poorly written question, i'm not surprised they didn't ask it.

anyways, you should have told us about it. we could have watched it online.
it probably sucked anyways. i saw their other videos.
---