April is the cruellest month... -- Thomas Stearns Eliot

dovenet / Internet / Re: luckymobile, anyone?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: luckymobile, anyone?paulie420
+- Re: luckymobile, anyone?Nightfox
`* Re: luckymobile, anyone?phigan
 `* Re: luckymobile, anyone?poindexter FORTRAN
  +* Re: luckymobile, anyone?Nightfox
  |`- Re: luckymobile, anyone?poindexter FORTRAN
  `- Re: luckymobile, anyone?phigan

1
Re: luckymobile, anyone?

<6620817A.9116.dove-int@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1038&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1038

From: paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 (paulie420)
To: Nightfox
Subject: Re: luckymobile, anyone?
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:13:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: paulie420 - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:13 UTC

Ni> I've heard a lot of people say T-Mobile service isn't very good.. And
Ni> years ago, I knew someone who had T-Mobile, and she had a lot of dropped
Ni> phone calls.

It works well for me - all depends on where you're at, too. For example, in Austin, TX T-Mobile is one of the best... but theres a few dead spots around the rural areas in the pacific northwest.

Ni> Currently I'm using Verizon's budget plan at $35/month (there's a tax
Ni> that makes it $36.65/month). It starts out at $55/month and then goes
Ni> down after a certain number of months as a loyalty discount.

My issue is that I often use 60-70Gb per month. I pay around $120 for 2 lines but know my daughter and I burn a lot of data each month... I really don't use the phone features much and could get away with some VOIP solution and switch over to data only.

I remember a time when Apple was attempting to move iPhones to all-data but they never got there. Its one of the reasons they went Verizon only for the 1st year - supposedly they wanted to sell the data plans and make iPhones fully functional w/o cellular... I bet if they'd of been trying to doso now as opposed to more than a decade ago that that would have been more a possibility.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........

Re: luckymobile, anyone?

<66214D74.6204.dove_dove-int@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1045&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1045

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: paulie420
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:42:28 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:42 UTC

Re: Re: luckymobile, anyone?
By: paulie420 to Nightfox on Wed Apr 17 2024 06:13 pm

pa> I remember a time when Apple was attempting to move iPhones to all-data

What does that mean?

pa> but they never got there. Its one of the reasons they went Verizon only
pa> for the 1st year - supposedly they wanted to sell the data plans and make

I remember the iPhone only being available through AT&T for the first year or two in the US..

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: luckymobile, anyone?

<6629F212.669.dove-internet@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1068&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1068

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (phigan)
To: paulie420
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 23:02:58 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: phigan - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 06:02 UTC

Re: Re: luckymobile, anyone?
By: paulie420 to Nightfox on Wed Apr 17 2024 06:13 pm

> they never got there. Its one of the reasons they went Verizon only for the

You might mean AT&T :). Verizon was still CDMA at the time and iPhones didn't
support CDMA (GSM only) for a while.

VOIP on cell data used to suck, a lot.. it's a little bit better with LTE these
days, but still not as solid/dependable as the regular voice cell. I mostly use
Matrix for voice calls within the family. Very rarely do I have to call anyone
else. The wife has a data-only plan on her phone so she uses Google Voice when
calling others. Then we also have VOIP set up at the house. But, I'm paranoid
so I think I will always have a voice-capable phone. It's probably all in my
head, but it just feels like VOIP is so much easier to log and spy on. There
are still SOME decent FCC regulations that real phone companies have to comply
with.. VOIP ones do not, afaik.

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

Re: luckymobile, anyone?

<662A749E.5539.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1071&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1071

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: phigan
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 06:44:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 13:44 UTC

-=> phigan wrote to paulie420 <=-

ph> VOIP on cell data used to suck, a lot.. it's a little bit better with
ph> LTE these days, but still not as solid/dependable as the regular voice
ph> cell. I mostly use Matrix for voice calls within the family. Very
ph> rarely do I have to call anyone else.

I have one of those Comcast/Xfinity land lines that come in over VOIP.
Been thinking about ditching it and cutting my service down to the bare
minimum. GV for business and wifi calling through my cell phone, since
coverage is spotty here. Works, mostly, but I was a telecom manager in
a former life and I've been tempted to set up an Asterisk PBX at home.

Once a telecom manager, always a telecom manager. Work is mostly Teams
calling and Ring Central phones. We have a handful of legacy sites using
Asterisk that the network team won't support, guess who's supporting
those now? :)

.... Walk without rhythm and you won't attact the worm.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: luckymobile, anyone?

<662A8179.6235.dove_dove-int@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1072&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1072

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 09:14:49 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 16:14 UTC

Re: Re: luckymobile, anyone?
By: poindexter FORTRAN to phigan on Thu Apr 25 2024 06:44 am

PF> I have one of those Comcast/Xfinity land lines that come in over VOIP.
PF> Been thinking about ditching it and cutting my service down to the bare
PF> minimum.

You might end up paying more.. One time, I had Comcast/Xfinity for both internet and basic cable TV. When I realized my over-the-air TV reception was actually fairly good in that location, I called Comcast to cancel the cable TV so I'd just have internet, but they said my bill would increase.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: luckymobile, anyone?

<662ABC59.675.dove-internet@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1074&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1074

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (phigan)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 13:26:01 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: phigan - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 20:26 UTC

Re: Re: luckymobile, anyone?
By: poindexter FORTRAN to phigan on Thu Apr 25 2024 06:44 am

> a former life and I've been tempted to set up an Asterisk PBX at home.

<3 Asterisk. Been running it at home for like 20 years now :). Man, I used to
have so many free incoming numbers, and several ways of at least calling toll
free numbers for free (which was great for work conf calls).. they've all gone
away now, unfortunately. At least I can still call home from anywhere with SIP
as long as I have internets.

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

Re: luckymobile, anyone?

<662BB439.5543.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1076&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#1076

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 06:39:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 13:39 UTC

-=> Nightfox wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Ni> You might end up paying more.. One time, I had Comcast/Xfinity for
Ni> both internet and basic cable TV. When I realized my over-the-air TV
Ni> reception was actually fairly good in that location, I called Comcast
Ni> to cancel the cable TV so I'd just have internet, but they said my bill
Ni> would increase.

Yeah, they try that. I usually insist on a price point and tell them to
find me a deal that matches that.

.... A journey of a thousand sandwiches begins with a single cut.