From: joe@nowhere.net (Bixxis)
Subject: PROPOSAL: alt.binaries.scene.commodore64
Newsgroups: alt.config
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:32:44 GMT
 by: Bixxis - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:32 UTC

alt.binaries.scene.commodore64 A repository for scene releases for the
Commodore 64 line of microcomputers.

CHARTER: alt.binaries.scene.commodore64 serves as a repository for modern
releases (graphics, software, music, other platform tools) for the
Commodore 64 line of microcomputers.

The newsgroup is not moderated. Off-topic, spam, advertising, and non-
binary posts are not permitted.

JUSTIFICATION: The only available binaries group for the Commodore 64 line
of microcomputers is (as of this writing) alt.binaries.warez.commodore64.
Given that there are exceedingly few commercial releases for this platform
at present, most scene releases are now considered "off topic" for that
group. Most contemorary releases for this platform are from hobbyists and
other non-commercial entities who release without license or with licenses
that allow free distribution of the software; hence, "warez" is an
inappropriate descriptor for this software. However,
alt.binaries.scene.commodore64 will serve as a catch-all for contemorary
releases (non-commercial or otherwise).

AUDIENCE: Currently, there are 2 - 30 scene releases per day for the
Commodore 64. A repository of these releases on Usenet as a decentralized
mode of distribution will serve to provide these releases to those who
wish to avoid the drama-fueled "scene" or who want to download these files
in bulk.

NOTE: This post is for documentation purposes only. Should there be any
further discussion surrounding this group or this request, please keep it
to questions regarding this request and not questions regarding the
validity of the "scene," the validity of this line of computers, or a
discussion of "warez," as they are not relevent to this request. I am
interested in creating this group so I can automate uploads from several
websites, IRC, and Telnet BBSes and am not looking to engage in any
conversation beyond this.

Thanks!

Re: PROPOSAL: alt.binaries.scene.commodore64

<u6qo1b$26ma3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35&group=alt.config#35

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.config
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:32:44 GMT
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 23:23 UTC

Bixxis <joe@nowhere.net> wrote:

>alt.binaries.scene.commodore64 A repository for scene releases for the
>Commodore 64 line of microcomputers.

Usenet is not a repository. Proponents have been told this in nearly
every proposal going back decades. It's ignored.

>CHARTER: alt.binaries.scene.commodore64 serves as a repository for modern
>releases (graphics, software, music, other platform tools) for the
>Commodore 64 line of microcomputers.

What is wrong with the platforms on which this is already being
released?

>The newsgroup is not moderated. Off-topic, spam, advertising, and non-
>binary posts are not permitted.

Non-binary posts? That's new.

Absolutely nothing in this proposal explains why "scene" is a
third-level hierarchy. There is no such third-level hierarchy. Can't you
look carefully at the list of newsgroup names to find the appropriate
third-level hierarchy for this proposed newsgroup in which there are
similar releases for other ancient computer platforms?

>JUSTIFICATION:

None of this is justification. Justification has a specific meaning with
respect to proposals in alt.*

>The only available binaries group for the Commodore 64 line
>of microcomputers is (as of this writing) alt.binaries.warez.commodore64.

>Given that there are exceedingly few commercial releases for this platform
>at present, most scene releases are now considered "off topic" for that
>group.

Off topic in a warez group? What have you been smoking?

>Most contemorary releases for this platform are from hobbyists and
>other non-commercial entities who release without license or with licenses
>that allow free distribution of the software; hence, "warez" is an
>inappropriate descriptor for this software. However,
>alt.binaries.scene.commodore64 will serve as a catch-all for contemorary
>releases (non-commercial or otherwise).

>AUDIENCE: Currently, there are 2 - 30 scene releases per day for the
>Commodore 64.

That's not what the word "audience" means, and alt.* proposals do not
have such a section.

>A repository

Usenet is not a repository of any kind.

>of these releases on Usenet as a decentralized
>mode of distribution will serve to provide these releases to those who
>wish to avoid the drama-fueled "scene" or who want to download these files
>in bulk.

drama-fueled scene? What the fuck are you talking about? Are you even
trying to make any sense? Is anything you've written appropriate for a
proposal in any way?

>NOTE: This post is for documentation purposes only. Should there be any
>further discussion surrounding this group or this request, please keep it
>to questions regarding this request and not questions regarding the
>validity of the "scene," the validity of this line of computers, or a
>discussion of "warez," as they are not relevent to this request. I am
>interested in creating this group so I can automate uploads from several
>websites, IRC, and Telnet BBSes and am not looking to engage in any
>conversation beyond this.

But of course you are going to automate the bulk upload of stuff. I'm
sure everybody wants it.

You don't understand what "unmoderated" means either. If someone wishes
to comment on your proposal or your understanding of the hobby, they can
post whatever they damn well please in followup.

computers / alt.config / Re: PROPOSAL: alt.binaries.scene.commodore64